Janitorial Supervisor - Great Team, Great Benefits
- Job posted by Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH)
Details: This is a full-time, exempt position, starting as soon as possible. Starting salary $58,000.
520 Jones Street
Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) is looking for a Janitorial Supervisor. The Janitorial Supervisor position is a part of the central team of Facilities leaders that ensures the DISH Facilities Workplan is implemented. The Janitorial Supervisor is responsible for ensuring high quality janitorial services at seven SRO sites with a total of 520 individual housing units, plus offices. The Janitorial Supervisor manages and supervises a team of 9 janitors and is responsible for delivering multiple preventative maintenance projects, and providing the Facilities Leadership Team with accurate and timely data and reports on these activities. In addition, the Janitorial Supervisor provides leadership and direction on special projects and preventative janitorial maintenance issues. Significant and demonstrated successful supervision of a work crew is required to manage 9 janitors and coordinate the successful implementation of the Facilities Workplan with the building General Managers, Director of Facilities and Facilities Leadership Team. This position requires a high standard of accountability, ability to work in a team environment and to be energized by leading a team, attention to customer service, and a commitment to effective use of resources.
The Janitorial Supervisor is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule. This position reports to the Director of Facilities.
Qualified Applicants must be interested in:
- Ending homelessness with a housing first approach in a harm reduction setting
- Being part of the start-up team for a new supportive housing project with a short timeline for rent-up
- Providing great customer service in a supportive housing setting
- Implementing nontraditional approaches to property management in a social justice and racial justice context
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Developing a supportive environment for all tenants using trauma-informed approach
- Interacting with and overseeing vendors in partnership with the Facilities Department
- Collaborating with onsite support services providers, the San Francisco Department of Homelessness & Supportive Housing (HSH), the Veteran’s Administration (VA) and other DISH site staff in pursuit of excellence.
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing believes that everyone deserves a home. Every day, we provide high-quality, permanent housing to San Franciscans who suffer from serious health issues—because with our help, they can get off the streets, rebuild their lives, and strengthen our communities. For more information, visit dishsf.org.
Our Mission: Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) strives to provide excellent property management services to help end homelessness in San Francisco. DISH, a project of the Tides Center, provides custom property management services exclusively to the HSH’s Direct Access to Housing program. Through its work, DISH hopes to demonstrate the healing effects of home and stable community, to reinforce the self-worth of persons who have not had access to a clean, beautiful place to live, and to involve tenants in healthy and life affirming activities by drawing upon the diverse opportunities in San Francisco.
- Demonstrate excellence: In our work and in our interactions.
- Stay focused: On what’s most important and within our control.
- Under-promise and over-deliver: Managing expectations along the way.
- Use initiative and innovation: Improving our services and performance.
- Be fair and consistent: Implementing our policies and procedures.
- Be mindful and prudent: With income and expenses.
- Be respectful and hopeful: With tenants, partners, coworkers, and ourselves.
- Be open: To different opinions, challenging discussions, and taking risks.
DISH Service Commitments:
1. Warm greetings & interactions every chance we get
2. Professional appearance every day
3. Service through helping
4. Be present and respectful at all times
5. Stay calm in the eye of the storm
6. Strive for the best environment to be in and work in
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Janitorial Service: As a member of the Facilities Team, must effectively lead day-to-day janitorial activities and projects. Implement and contribute to the refinement of janitorial maintenance policy and procedures, best practices, and preventative maintenance plans. Responsible for carrying out job duties in a manner that reflects concern for personal health and safety of co-workers and tenants. Must model DISH values, work rules, service commitments, and consistently contribute to DISH team building efforts. Conduct work, execute projects, and implement decisions of the Leadership Team as directed. Supervision: Build, maintain and lead janitorial crew, helping team members and the team as a whole to deliver effective and efficient janitorial. Direct and supervise the janitorial team to ensure the timely delivery of janitorial maintenance, preventive maintenance, and sanitation activities. Ensure that quality standards and best practices are consistently met. Supervise and direct janitors on a daily basis. Prepare and monitor weekly crew schedules to ensuring janitorial coverage. Ensure team is cohesive and engaged, addressing team and employee challenges quickly and prudently.
- Human Resources: Manage the hiring process of direct reports. Develop and conduct new hire orientation and training plan; coach and counsel staff on professional development needs and performance deficiencies. Conduct performance reviews, and prepare and issue progressive disciplinary actions in compliance with DISH HR Policy as necessary. Ensure that DISH Work Rules are understood and practiced by all direct reports. Surface and escalate potential HR issues to senior leadership as appropriate to the situation.
- Reporting: Actively track and provide current data on various janitorial activities including scheduled preventative maintenance, work orders, scorecards, special projects and emergency work and provides updates or reports to the Director of Facilities and Facilities Leadership Team as needed. Attend and actively participate in weekly facilities team meetings and other meetings as needed or assigned.
- Facilities Programming and Systems: Ensure the on-time delivery of programmed janitorial and sanitation activities, special projects and programmed site activities. As a member of the Facilities Team, develop and implement preventive maintenance and janitorial best practices, and manage allocation of resources, site procurement, equipment, and inventory control. Conduct research on products and procedures as needed.
- Safety and Training: Learn, follow and ensure implementation of all published job safety policies and procedures. Ensure that all direct reports consistently follow work safety rules on a daily basis and use appropriate Personal Protection Equipment as required, and that janitorial MSDS data books are maintained current. Develop and implement craft and safety training activities for janitorial staff, and provide hands-on class room and field training on various craft and safety topics. Attend and actively participate in all DISH-wide trainings on harm reduction, mental illness and other topics to enhance DISH customer service. Creatively and assertively enhance existing safety and training programs.
- On-Call Service: Provide on-call after-hours emergency janitorial service and oversight as required. Respond to emergencies as required.
- Demonstrate the DISH Mission, Values, and Service Commitments at all times.
- Consistently and effectively implement all Tides and DISH operating and human resource policies and procedures.
- Performs additional related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Three plus years of working in janitorial management, including supervision of a large janitorial crew at a management level. Strong background in janitorial systems including preventive maintenance programming, pest control abatement, work order systems, as well as procurement and inventory control. Must be able to sequence, organize and manage day-to-day work including daily janitorial maintenance, work orders, emergency work, and special projects
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in janitorial maintenance work. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may also qualify a candidate. Knowledge of work order systems, rotary floor machines, and preventative maintenance programs a plus. Must be able to supervise and effectively communicate with outside vendors and contractors.
- Proven excellence in managing personnel, work crew leadership, and team building.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Timely, accurate Management and delivery of multiple projects and ongoing streams of work and provide accurate and timely data and reports on these activities. Manage competing and emerging priorities and expectations, and meet deadlines in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, including people with active mental health issues, active substance use issues, and histories of homelessness and trauma. Must be able to develop and maintain professional relationships with vendors, contractors, residents and co-workers. Communicate through a lens of social, economic and racial equity.
- Must be able to take direction from supervisor.
- Ability to speak Spanish or Tagalog is preferred. Must be able to write clear, accurate memos, reports, email correspondence, and HR documents in proper English.
- Working knowledge of janitorial practices.
- Working knowledge of work safety principles and practices.
- Must be flexible and work effectively in a crisis situations. Ability to assess and determine when an incident is an emergency and take appropriate corrective action is essential.
- Maintain a professional personal appearance.
- Must be able to use a computer and typical office software such as MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook e-mail, and other typical office machinery (copy and fax machines, etc.). Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
(These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the job.)
Frequently required to push/pull objects weighing more than 25 lbs and lift and carry objects weighing more than 50 lbs but less than 75. Frequently required to perform simple manipulative tasks such as using hand tools and operating maintenance machinery. Must be able to walk, stand, squat, drive, and remain in uncomfortable positions for periods of time necessary to accomplish maintenance repairs. Frequently required to operate power carpentry tools, cleaning equipment, or other machinery related to janitorial tasks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
DISH, a project of the Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or the conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS Related Conditions (ARC).
Compensation includes a full benefits package, including medical, vision, dental, vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position is open until filled. In addition to a resume, applicants must include a cover letter including salary requirements expressing their interest in this position with DISH and why they are qualified for this job. Please submit cover letter and resume via DISHJanitorialSupervisor@gmail.com to or via mail to Director, 123 10th Street, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. No phone calls or drops-ins please.