Communications Associate - New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty
About the New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty
The New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty advances economic and social justice through education, advocacy, and litigation. We work on a broad range of issues for New Mexico’s children and families such as education, healthcare, public benefits and workers’ rights. The Center provides representation and advocacy before governmental agencies, through the legislative process, and in the courts to increase opportunities and protect the rights of low-income New Mexicans.
Communications Associate Opportunity
The Center is seeking a communications associate. The associate will manage the Center’s social media work and help promote the Center’s work to the public through our website, email, and outreach to the press. Assignments will offer the opportunity to work on key policy issues facing New Mexico’s communities and use strategic communications to help reach the public and advance advocacy campaigns for systems change.
The position is full time, but experienced applicants who prefer part-time work will be considered. The position will last for at least six months with a strong likelihood of continuing. Salary depends on experience.
- Professional and responsible and able to function in a fast-paced environment
- Possess excellent layout and design skills and experience in creating fliers, shareable graphics, and other materials
- Experience using social media – preferably for professional purposes
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills
- Commitment to social and economic justice
- Able to work independently, as well as on teams and to see projects to completion
- Experience creating short videos preferred
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Center’s social media platforms as well as those of its campaigns
- Create graphics for social media, website, fliers, etc.
- Help maintain website
- Assist in education and healthcare campaigns
- Maintain media log and press clips
- Conduct research and draft talking points
- Provide communications support to staff
- Research New Mexico media and update press lists
- Assist with press events and press pitches
- Other work as directed
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual preferred, but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply in confidence by sending a resume and letter specifying which position you are interested in and detailing how you meet the position requirements to email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, people of color, former recipients of public assistance, or people who have grown up in poverty, are especially encouraged to apply.