About the Position:
As a Math/Science Student Support Services Department Head with us, you will help to create a classroom that is a warm, well-structured, and organized learning environment where consistent routines and expectations are set for their students and for yourself. Our goal is to offer students numerous chances to try, fail, and grow. We rely on data to inform progress and our decision-making process, all while engaging in culturally-responsive pedagogy. At all times, Prospectors — students and staff alike — should strive for deeper and higher-order questioning and thinking.
Prospect Schools is a K-12 college preparatory community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning. Find more about who we are and what we believe by checking out our Prospector Principles.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Care: Support others by grounding every action in empathy while championing equity and inclusion in our work
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
Under the general direction of the Principal, the Math Student Support Services Department Head will be responsible for the following:
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of a comprehensive Math and Science Special Education curriculum plan including assessment, resource development and professional staff development
- Gather and analyze evidence about the quality of the department’s academic program with respect to the mission, department criteria and the expected school-wide learning results.
- Develop and implement strategic plans for program growth and improvement
- Lead high quality department meetings that focus on developing instructional practices, strengthening curriculum, and responding to data.
- Request new materials and equipment in order to provide instructional support to teachers in their attempts to meet curricular outcomes
- Assess the need for instructional resources based on teacher input as required by the curriculum maps
- Monitor the department budget
Faculty Evaluation and Supervision
- Regularly observe teachers and residents in their classrooms and offer insights for the enhancement of effective instruction
- Complete faculty evaluation cycles and draft written evaluations
- Hold bi-weekly one-on-one sessions with each faculty and teaching residents within the department
- Serve as a member of the School Leadership Team (SLT), offering feedback and making decisions about the overall program, practices, and policies
- Through collaboration and coaching with school colleagues, support the guiding principles and vision of Brooklyn Prospect’s mission and educational philosophies
- Collaborate with colleagues on the Treehouse team and in other school divisions to effectively improve the department’s academic program
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in education strongly preferred
- NYS teaching certification preferred
- Experience with student support service programs and math instruction
- An active community builder who believes in collaborating across teams and functions in order to achieve results
- A deep belief in our mission and vision with a strong enthusiasm for integrating public education