Details: Salary is based upon the candidate’s experience and qualifications in line with the organization’s budget.
About the US Water Alliance
Founded in 2008, the US Water Alliance advances policies and programs that build a sustainable water future for all. We are driving a One Water movement—an approach to water stewardship that is innovative, inclusive, and integrated. As a national nonprofit organization, we:
- Educate the nation about the true value of water and the need for investment. The US Water Alliance coordinates the Value of Water Campaign which builds public and political will for investment in sustainable water infrastructure and water resources.
- Accelerate policies and programs that manage water resources to advance a better quality of life for all. We convene diverse interests to identify and advance practical, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. We do this through national dialogues, knowledge building and peer exchange, the development of forward-looking and inclusive water policies and programs, public education, and coalition building.
- Celebrate what works by showcasing examples of sustainable, innovative, and integrated water resource management solutions. We shine a light on those who engage in groundbreaking work through story-telling, cataloging and disseminating best practices, and spearheading special recognition programs such as the US Water Prize that focus attention on how One Water leaders are building stronger communities and a stronger America.
The US Water Alliance has offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. For more information, please visit our website at: www.uswateralliance.org
About the Program
An Equitable Water Future is a multi-year national initiative that explores the impacts of water management on lower-income people, communities or color, and other vulnerable populations in the US. The initiative builds collaboration between a range of stakeholders to ensure that all people can access safe, reliable, affordable water services, benefit from water investment, and become resilient to a changing climate. The initiative includes the following components:
- Publications and resources: The Alliance conducts research and produces resources that explore the range of water challenges facing vulnerable communities around the country, the opportunities to leverage water systems for community and economic development, and the promising practices being developed by a range of stakeholders.
- Water Equity Taskforce: The Alliance convenes a network of cities that work together to accelerate the development and adoption of equitable water policies and practices by utilities, community-based organizations, and other stakeholders. The Taskforce is comprised of cross-sector teams that are anchored by a US Water Alliance member utility and include leadership from community-based organizations and others that are committed to water issues (e.g., environmental groups, foundations, other government agencies).
- Water equity and climate resilience: Building on the work of the Water Equity Taskforce, the Alliance is developing a project that addresses the intersection of equity and climate resilience. It will build the capacity of utilities to engage in equitable climate adaptation and planning processes.
- Water access research: In a joint project with nonprofit and academic partners, the Alliance aims to create a better understanding of the areas around the country that lack access to running water and wastewater services. It aims to set policy and funding priorities to guarantee universal access to water within our lifetime.
Reporting to the CEO, the Program Director will lead the organization’s initiative An Equitable Water Future, with broad leadership on strategic direction, program development, and project execution. They will serve as an official spokesperson for the organization in a variety of professional settings.
Our ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, solid judgment, deep connections and access to broad professional networks, and the ability to convene diverse constituencies. They will possess integrity, a positive attitude, and a demonstrated passion for the US Water Alliance’s mission. They should have a background in water, infrastructure, social and economic equity, community development, or related fields of interest. This position requires regular travel to represent the US Water Alliance at various meetings and events.
- Lead implementation of equity-focused policies and programs for US Water Alliance
- Develop and execute internal and external strategy for expanding water equity portfolio
- Manage strategic partnerships with multiple water agencies, community organizations, and government partners
- Represent the organization and deliver presentations at conferences, meetings, and events
- Manage multiple project deliverables with a high level of collaboration with staff, consultants, and partners
- Produce events such as regional forums and learning exchanges
- Develop policy reports and other materials
- Develop systems to capture, translate, and share knowledge that is generated through Alliance programs with a broad range of communities
- Ensure that key project outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact
- Develop and manage budget
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing programs and the growth of the US Water Alliance with members, funders, and sponsors
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in a related field preferred
- Program Leadership and Management
- Track record of effectively leading outcome-based programs
- Experience developing and operationalizing strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth
- Demonstrated experience in developing analyses, reports, articles, or related materials
- Ability to effectively manage a project budget
- Exceptional Communication and Influencing Skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Persuasive, credible, and polished communications style
- Network Building
- Ability to foster and grow the Alliance member network through relationship-building and high quality member service
- Team Building
- A team player; experience mentoring, managing, and developing a strong team of staff and consultants
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required