12-11 40th Avenue
NEW YORK CITY
Development Associate/Grant Writer
Founded in 2004, the mission of Urban Upbound is to break cycles of poverty in public housing neighborhoods in New York City. We advance our mission through five integrated programs: employment services, financial counseling, youth services, neighborhood revitalization, and financial inclusion anchored by the Urban Upbound Federal Credit Union.
The Development Associate/Grant Writer will provide support to and work in collaboration with the Managing Director on securing private and public grants. This is a fast-paced position ideal for an individual with drive, enthusiasm, strong work ethic, strong written and oral communications skills, strong ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment, a sense humor, and strong desire to create lasting, meaningful change in public housing neighborhoods.
Reporting to the Managing Director and working in collaboration with the Development Team and Program Directors, the Development Associate/Grant Writer will be responsible for:
- Writing proposals, applications, and letters of inquiries to private foundations, government agencies, and corporate sponsors;
- Developing a deep, comprehensive understanding of the organization and its goals, programs, initiatives, constituencies in order to articulate its vision to funders;
- Liaising with the Chief Financial Officer for assistance preparing budgets and supporting materials for proposals;
- Researching and tracking new and existing funding opportunities for the organization;
- Maintaining a year-round grant calendar related to new and renewal proposals are submitted in a timely fashion;
- Organizing detailed fundraising electronic files and spreadsheets that track submissions and communications;
- Writing reports to government, corporate, foundations and other funders in collaboration with Data and Evaluation Manager;
- Assisting with other development tasks such as cultivation events, fundraising events, including our Annual Gala, and preparing for quarterly board meetings;
- Being an ambassador for the organization at networking and special events; and
- Performing other duties are requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree strongly preferred;
- 1-2 years of nonprofit, grant-writing experience;
- Flexible, with ability to work occasional evenings to attend program and fundraising events;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong time management, organizational and planning skills with capacity to work in a collaborative team environment;
- Ability to manage multiple proposal deadlines and produce high quality work in a timely manner;
- Manage sensitive, confidential information with high integrity;
Sick. Health. Vacation
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Urban Upbound is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds. To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and a writing sample, preferably a grant, to Bethany Goldszer at Bethany@urbanupbound.org.