Details: Commensurate with experience, level of education, and skill
c/o Platform Coworking 4422 N Ravenswood Ave
The mission of Foster Progress is to empower youth from foster care to become successful adults through mentoring, advocacy, and educational opportunities. Foster Progress is located in the Ravenswood neighborhood in Chicago, Illinois, and the position requires travel around northern and central Illinois from time to time.
Foster youth deserve the same high quality services that wealthier, connected families can afford, not a watered-down version. Our mentors are people we would want spending time with our own children.
Diverse, Equitable & Inclusive
We are committed to creating programs and a workplace that honors all people’s race, ethnicity, religion, and gender.
Professional, but not bureaucratic
We are not a part of “the system,” though we work with it. Our people are well-prepared problem-solvers, experts in the field. We minimize red tape around resources for youth.
We work on the issue of youth success not only at the individual level, but also at the systematic and policy level of postsecondary institutions and the state and federal government.
We include birth parents, foster parents, caseworkers, school counselors, teachers, postsecondary staff… connecting a web of support for youth.
Mentoring and Scholarships
Foster Progress’s mentoring and scholarship program is quickly growing. This academic year we are matching 20 youth with 20 mentors, and possibly more depending on fundraising and pending contracts. The goal of the program is to provide youth who have experienced foster care with a one-on-one mentor to help them access and succeed in higher education.
College Road Trips
Each summer, Foster Progress organizes five College Road Trips around the state of Illinois for any youth in foster care ages 13 and up. The model has been cumbersome and not as effective as we’d like, so we are currently re-evaluating its value. Next summer we would like to try something new.
We are looking for a competent, experienced, passionate program manager to undertake the implementation of programs for youth from foster care. We highly value all kinds of diversity and personal foster care experience. Foster Progress is quickly growing, and as such, this opportunity offers room to grow with the organization.
- Recruiting, training, and supporting mentors
- Recruiting and supporting youth
- Planning and executing monthly training sessions and special activities for youth and mentors
- Developing and then executing a new model for College Road Trips in the summer months
- Connecting child welfare agencies and resources to the students
- Measure and track the success of the program
- Maintain budget and track expenditures/transactions
- Help build positive relationships with and among students and partners
- Manage communications through media relations, social media etc.
- Help to execute fundraisers
- Support grant writer by providing up to date reporting
- Other tasks as assigned to support the success of students/organization
- Ability to work side-by-side with Executive Director, board, grant writer, volunteers, and support staff to execute vision
- Flexibility and commitment to learning and growing in a quickly-expanding start up
- Willingness to shoulder the ultimate responsibility for the success of youth as they enter college
- High-energy, nurturing, and engaging personality
- Experience with diverse and high-trauma youth populations
- Experience as program manager or relevant position
- Knowledge of higher education or college persistence best practices
- Knowledge of child welfare/foster care best practices
- Knowledge of budgeting, bookkeeping and reporting
- Tech savvy, proficient in social media, Google tools
- Individually motivated and reliable
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and efficient
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in social work, higher education, or relevant field
- Paid Time Off: Four Weeks (22 days, with half days for half time) and 10 paid holidays
- Flexible hours, occasional evenings and weekend days required
- Family friendly work environment
- Professional development and and opportunities for growth
Minimum Education Required