Details: Salary commensurate with experience
NWMI is seeking an accountant to maintain records of financial transactions by establishing accounts, posting transactions, and ensuring legal requirements compliance. The ideal candidate will have an approachable demeanor and a passion for creating processes to support the growing needs of NWMI.
Next Wave Muslim Initiative (NWMI) is a non-profit organization founded in 2009 and dedicated to serving and educating the American Muslim community of the Washington metropolitan area. NWMI’s primary objective is to spread the message of the Prophet Muhammad (saws) and his family to the next Muslim generation in a meaningful and relevant way by promoting Islamic principles through relevant programming and projects.
- Develops system to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts; defining bookkeeping policies and procedures.
- Maintains accounts, verifies documentation, and posts transactions.
- Balances general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Maintains historical records by filing documents.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Manages payables and receivables in a timely manner.
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits.
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy.
- Provide information to the external accountant who creates the company’s financial statements.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Prepares payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Possess an Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration
- 5 years experience in bookkeeping and accounting
- Experience with non-profit accounting required
- Computer literate (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email, Google Docs).
- Proficiency in using accounting software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A successful track record of setting priorities, shaping processes, and developing an accounting infrastructure that creates a stronger and more efficient organization.
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach.
- Flexible hours;
- 20 hours per month.
- Salary commensurate with experience
Reports to: Executive Director
Minimum Education Required