Details: Commensurate with experience
TITLE: Staff Accountant, Grants and Contracts
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director I
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Grants Management and Financial Analysis
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 275,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Staff Accountant, Grants and Contracts, will be involved in the day-to-day administrative and effective life cycle management of grants and contracts received from foundations, federal and state agencies and other non-profit organizations. Responsibilities include assisting the Director of Grants Management and Financial Analysis, Finance, and program staff in administering project paperwork; ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions of grant and contract agreements as well as the organization’s accounting policies and procedures; monitoring project expenses against budget; ensuring that costs are necessary and reasonable and are treated consistently per all grant and contract provisions, GAAP, OMB circulars and best practices; preparing and monitoring reimbursement requests and preparing financial reports as needed.
- Assist the Director of Grants Management and Financial Analysis in organizing and managing grant related documents, and reviewing awards and contracts for compliance, grant program and financial requirements.
- Work with Finance and the Director of Grants Management and Financial Analysis to prepare reimbursement requests on grants and contracts and assist in ensuring collection, as required. Assist in monthly revenue accrual calculations.
- Work collaboratively with Finance and the Director of Grants Management and Financial Analysis, as assigned, to monitor program expenses against budget to guard against unallowable costs and ensure that funding is appropriately spent within the grant terms and deadlines. Research over(under) expenditures and coding inconsistencies, as required. Assist in developing internal and external fiscal reports.
- As needed, in conjunction with program managers, review and monitor the grant awards, as well as sub-awards and contracts with sub-grantees and consultants, to ensure adherence to policies, procedures and reporting requirements.
- Assist the Director of Grants Management and Financial Analysis with the annual Single Audit.
- Other duties and assistance as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting and at least two years of work experience managing federal, state and foundation grants and/or contracts in a non-profit setting, or equivalent background.
- Solid understanding of GAAP, OMB Circulars and Uniform Guidance and other federal grant compliance regulations, and grant principles to/from other non-profit organizations.
- Must be highly detail-oriented, highly organized, with strong time management skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects concurrently and meet aggressive timelines.
- Proven ability to analyze and interpret financial data.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills. The ability to work collaboratively and seamlessly as a team is essential.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidences.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications; demonstrated high proficiency with Excel.
- Experience with accounting software, Abila preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full‐time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.