422 First Street Southeast
District of Columbia
About Challenger Center:
Challenger Center is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that inspires, engages, and prepares today’s students for the future through innovative, K-12 science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education programs. With our global network of more than 40 Challenger Learning Centers, we give more than 250,000 students each year the opportunity to become scientists, engineers, and innovators and to work together on inspiring missions like finding life on Mars or preserving ocean species. Through our programs, students apply STEM concepts in the context of real-world challenges; they are exposed to a range of STEM careers; and they practice important skills like teamwork, communication, and problem solving. Ultimately, Challenger Center aims to build a scientifically literate public and shape our future leaders to help improve quality of life across the globe.
The Program Manager contributes to the development and implementation of Challenger Center products and programs, or components of our products and programs with an emphasis on contributing science knowledge and content. This could include creative development and design, content and curriculum creation, and/or standards alignment. The Program Manager will work closely with the broader Education team, other Challenger Center teams, Challenger Learning Centers, partner organizations, and vendors. The Program Manager may support the development of concepts for funders, as well as the implementation of grant-funded programs.
Challenger Center is an education organization that utilizes complex, custom technology platforms and software, integrated with custom and off-the-shelf hardware (e.g., science lab equipment, custom apps, 3D printers, and Virtual Reality technology), in all its major programs. Students interact with this technology in Challenger Learning Centers worldwide and using our online platform in classrooms and other settings. We aim to take our newest programs and products to scale in schools and other settings nationwide in the next few years. The ideal candidate for this role will have experience designing and delivering STEM education programs in formal or informal education settings.
Description of Duties:
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Design, develop, and deliver education programs and products with an emphasis on science content integration.
- Keep abreast of technological and other Education Technology industry developments, seeking opportunities to improve and expand upon our programming.
- Manage program-related budgets and timelines.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an evaluation plan for each program/product.
- Ensure each program/product undergoes a robust quality control review (e.g., copy editing, scientific accuracy, software functionality).
- Create professional development resources, as needed.
- Coordinate with Community Engagement, Communications, Development, and Finance on all products and programs.
- Identify and share funding opportunities with the Education and Development teams.
- Support the development of grant proposals.
- Support the implementation of grant-funded programs, ensuring program and reporting deadlines and goals are met completely, accurately, and timely.
- Identify and leverage resources from partners such as NASA, NOAA, and corporations.
- Assist with the management of external partners and vendors to ensure milestones and deliverables are reached per contracted agreements.
- Collaborate with program implementers, including Challenger Learning Centers, program partners, consultants, universities, and evaluators.
- For school-based programs, maintain relationships for the pilot and/or implementation of programs and evaluation.
- Attend and participate in conferences, meetings and special events, as needed.
- Attend staff meetings, assist with office support, participate in professional networking, and team building activities.
- Follow Challenger Center's Project Management Process for each education program/product development project.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required; science field preferred.
- Experience as an educator in an informal or formal setting preferred; experience in the Education Technology field a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Possess a strong knowledge of K-12 science content and the ability to interpret and convey complex science concepts to students, stakeholders, and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to develop programs that are aligned with current national education standards, especially Next Generation Science Standards.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Experience with evaluating education program impact a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, and shift priorities and resources as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage external vendors and partners.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all staff across all teams.
- Self-starter, able to work independently.
- Strong computer skills especially in Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Basic knowledge of HTML 5 and Adobe Creative Cloud programs preferred.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%-15% of the time, with the potential for periodic additional travel.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Challenger Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Program Manager” in the subject line. Only applicants who submit all of the requirements will be considered. Due to the number of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.