Summary of Position
The Naumkeag Engagement Manager (EM) is a full-time exempt (salaried) position based at Naumkeag in Stockbridge, MA. This position is responsible for the public experience at Naumkeag: events, programs, house & landscape tours, interpretive & self-guided experiences. Working collaboratively with the Southern Berkshires General Manager, Southern Berkshires Stewardship Manager, Naumkeag Guest Services and Retail Manager, Statewide Director of Visitor Interpretation, Statewide Director of Public Programs, Statewide Director of Visitor Experience, Regional Curator of Western properties and the entire Naumkeag Estate staff, the Engagement Manager will deliver a vision and cohesive set of programs that increase visitation, grow program and gate revenue, increase membership sales and revenue, and improve visitor satisfaction through the development of new experiences and improved amenities.
The Engagement Manager (EM) collaborates with the General Manager to create and maintain the overall vision for the Estate with a focus on all aspects of engagement including the development and implementation of initiatives related to The Trustees new strategic plan,Momentum. The EM reports to the Naumkeag General Manager and directly supervises the Naumkeag Guest Services and Retail Manager, and seasonal Naumkeag House staff.
Specifically, the Engagement Manager’s responsibilities can be categorized as follows:
1. Enhance the Naumkeag Visitor Experience
- Provide outstanding customer service to visitors, always
- Play a key role, with the General Manager, in developing the vision and direction of the entire estate
- Manage all aspects of the visitor experience at entry, circulation, and exit
- With the Guest Services and Retail Manager and General Manager, develop and implement new specialized tours, activities, self-guided experiences, and interpretive materials for visitors
- Serve as project manager for key interpretive and visitor-related efforts such as interpretive panels, exhibits and new technology implementation
- Develop and implement ongoing customer service and membership sales training to teams of interpreters, rangers, property staff and volunteers
- Train staff and volunteers to gather visitor surveys throughout the entire estate and implement changes that will improve visitor satisfaction
2. Grow Visitation and Program Participation
- In collaboration with the Guest Services and Retail Manager and membership department, develop a Membership Sales strategy that includes onsite member incentives, developing sales training for seasonal staff and meeting annual membership sales goals.
- Work closely with the Marketing team to increase web, print and social media promotions for Naumkeag as a destination for multiple audiences in MA and beyond
- Build upon current relationships and develop new partnerships to expand outreach and awareness of Naumkeag
- Identify and target new audiences by creating and implementing a comprehensive marketing plan with the General Manager and statewide marketing dept
- Manage and grow social media presence on Facebook and Instagram
- Advertise and promote events through press releases, online postings, print materials, signs/banners, flyers, and social media
- In collaboration with the Guest Services and Retail Manager, promote group tours to increase visitation
3. Implement New Events and Programs
- Assess and adapt landscape and house tour programs to provide memorable and distinctly unique tour experiences
- Create new experiences at existing programs
- Create new, meaningful events and programs at Naumkeag that are in line with the Trustees’ strategic plan and spirit of place
- Increase program and event revenue
- Support all signature events through budget management, on-site support, and evaluation while meeting set goals
- Develop program satisfaction surveys
- Develop innovative interpretive experiences with the Statewide Director of Visitor Interpretation
- Support special tours and programs in collaboration with the Regional Curator
- Work with statewide staff to carry out annual programmatic themes and initiatives such as Art in the Landscape and Home Sweet Home
- Responsible for tracking metrics for all programs and visitation
- Work with Statewide Director of Public Programs to facilitate statewide programs and initiatives
- Support Development Team with site specific fundraising efforts
- Represent the Trustees in the regional museum community and with regional tourism entities
- Work with General Manager to complete and execute engagement components of the Property Business Plan
- Submit statewide and regional reports and deliverables on time and as requested
The ideal candidate will have energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to provide every visitor a remarkable experience at Naumkeag and The Trustees.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in cultural and/or natural resource interpretation, visitor engagement, education, marketing and/or hospitality with three years minimum as a manager or supervisor of staff
- B.A. in a related field required
- Experience with interpretive program design with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Background in mentoring, evaluating, and providing feedback to staff
- Demonstrated experience in program leadership, collaboration with internal and external partners, strategic planning, oral communication, presentations, persuasive writing, and training staff
- Strong analytic and organizational skills and the ability to engage diverse constituents
- A valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record
- A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI)
- Working evenings weekends and holidays required, attending all signature events
- Microsoft proficiency as well as some Adobe Suite design experience
- The ability to lift 40 lbs independently and spend periods of time standing during events
About The Trustees of Reservations:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 117 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.
Due to the volume of application we receive, we kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits & Salary
The Trustees offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 401(k) plan. We also offer the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive history of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online via The Trustees' website linked here.