Student Leadership Network (SL Network) operates three programs that empower young people from underserved communities to access educational opportunities that prepare them to lead successful lives: The Young Women’s Leadership Schools (TYWLS), a high-performing network of all-girls public secondary schools; CollegeBound Initiative (CBI), a comprehensive college access and success program for young men and women; and Young Women’s Leadership Network (YWLN), a national network of 15 all-girls affiliate schools modeled after our TYWLS network. SL Network programs promote a college-going culture in schools and make the dream of college a reality for the students we serve. To learn more, visit our website at: www.Studentleadershipnetwork.org.
The Director of Research and Evaluation’s primary focus is to strengthen data driven decision-making by growing SL Network's data analysis and reporting capabilities (i.e. data collection, accuracy, storage, analysis, reporting, and use). This position will lead SL Network’s research efforts and support leaders throughout the organization to understand and communicate our impact to key internal and external stakeholders. The Director will be responsible for the design and execution of SL Network’s research agenda and will work closely with other teams to provide data and reports that allow for continuous improvement in order to best serve our student population. This position will also have oversight and strategically evolve the organization’s use of Salesforce across departments; directing data governance, data architecture, data quality initiatives, as well as measurement and evaluation. The Director will be supported by two dedicated staff members and will report to SL Network’s Executive Vice President/Chief Innovation Officer (EVP/CIO).
Internal Data, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Collaborate across program departments and contribute to the development, implementation and execution of data driven strategic initiatives.
- Synthesize, analyze, and define key performance metrics across each program department to measure the efficacy and impact of staff and programs supporting our students.
- Use qualitative and quantitative research methods to identify organizational challenges and propose solutions to program delivery staff and other organizational leaders.
- Build new capability for the organization using predictive modeling and analytics.
- Direct annual research initiatives and prioritize resources to ensure completion of projects and ad hoc requests.
- Prepare, or supervise the preparation of, research reports, summaries, presentations, and other materials that summarize findings for internal and external audiences.
- Participate in learning communities (both virtual and in-person) of peer organization members engaged in data and evaluation work. Attend conferences, events, and training opportunities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Help set annual vision, direction, and goals for the various program teams.
- Support the EVP/CIO in assessing program departments’ progress toward goals on a quarterly basis, identifying what is driving and impeding progress, developing solutions to address gaps, and adjusting course as necessary.
- Lead a wide range of cross-functional projects, including as-needed support for team leaders (e.g. developing power user in Salesforce, managing data hygiene, etc.).
- Analyze complex data sets and generate reports for the EVP/CIO and team leadership.
- Liaise with a range of national affiliates, partner principals, program partners, and college partners on behalf of each program department.
- Identify, recommend, and manage the implementation of business solutions for the organization and/or various departments (e.g. Salesforce, website features, Tableau, SharePoint, learning management and performance management tools).
- Manage two team members that are responsible for data management, systems administration (e.g. Salesforce, Share Point, etc.), evaluation, reporting, and IT duties.
- Meet regularly with direct reports one-on-one to assess progress toward individual performance goals and department goals. Conduct formal annual performance reviews and provide informal ongoing feedback to support their growth and development.
- Maintain a supportive, inclusive, positive work environment and ensure direct reports feel connected to the mission.
External Data, Research, and Evaluation
- Manage relationship with a third-party evaluation team, leading the oversight and coordination of SL Network’s surveys, evaluations, and/or benchmarking projects.
- Collaborate with the Development team in writing and preparing proposals to fund research, evaluations, and/or special projects.
Key Qualifications and traits:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s preferred in social sciences, behavioral economics, data science, applied mathematics, or statistics.
- 7+ years of experience managing data. Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with applied research to improve programming for high schools, college counseling program, alumni engagement and/or community-based organizations a plus.
- Experience in Salesforce or a similar CRM platform.
- Strong understanding of quantitative and qualitative data collection methodologies – such as probability-based complex sample design, surveys, focus groups, semi-structured interviews, and participant observation techniques – and a demonstrated ability to deploy these methods in applied settings.
- Demonstrated analytic skills, including knowledge of, and proficiency with, quantitative analytical concepts such as statistical methods, predictive analytics, and database structures.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively present ideas and complex research insights, using a variety of mediums (including written reports, presentations, data visualizations, and proposals) to audiences with diverse knowledge and areas of expertise.
- Experience designing and building dynamic reports and dashboards using reporting software.
- Demonstrated commitment to SL Network’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Previous evaluation experience in a non-profit setting and/or knowledge of the fields of predictive analytics or behavioral economics.