108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday; 8:30AM – 4:30PM
ADULT EDUCATION COORDINATOR
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice.
We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. We are seeking a qualified Adult Education Coordinator (Bilingual English/Spanish preferred) with a strong commitment to adult education and adult immigrants to work at our Forest Hills Center. The Coordinator will assist the daytime program in building a supportive community for adult immigrant students and staff through intake and assessment, customer service, and administration. QCH services include English as a Second Language classes, benefits assistance, health care education and monitoring, housekeeping, errands, transportation, support groups, volunteer opportunities, intergenerational programming, recreation and cultural activities and trips.
- Provide administrative support to Daytime teachers, and maintain student and administrative files in an organized manner, both physically and virtually on the one drive.
- Cover Adult Education main phone line and main desk, including answering phones and inquiries, greeting students, applicants, and visitors courteously and ensuring helpful information is given.
- Coordinate registration and Best Plus testing of students (room reservation and preparation of intake forms, planning with teachers).
- Data entry of student information into an external database, Capricorn, and into two internal Adult Education databases
- Assist in mobilization of classes during adult literacy advocacy periods (e.g. going to City Hall, letter writing campaigns, etc.)
- Coordinate outreach efforts at public events and public places (e.g. Corona plaza)
- Attend regular departmental meetings, external conferences/training for professional development, and participate in continuous program improvement activities.
- Administrative tasks such as classroom room reservation, maintenance of calendar, and ordering of and follow-up on program supplies.
- Provide verbal and written translations/interpretation in Spanish as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Associate’s degree in Social Work, Human Services, or related field preferred; high school degree or equivalency with some college coursework considered. Foreign credentials are acceptable.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with adults or working in an educational setting; customer service experience a plus.
- Highly organized, excellent written and verbal communication skills; high interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines, self-motivated, solution-oriented, and resourceful.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion when dealing with private information.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of immigrant and adult learner issues.
- Willingness to work in the evenings or weekends as needed.
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel), Email, and Internet.
- Bilingual English/Spanish verbal and written competencies preferred.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER v DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Adult Education Coordinator (Bilingual English/Spanish)” to Bino Realuyo at email@example.com.