The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The mission of the Public Health Laboratory (PHL) is to ensure the health of all New York City (NYC) residents by providing quality laboratory testing services which address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners as they respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns.
PHL is seeking to hire a qualified Bio-Informaticist.
* Conducting WGS analysis on SARS-CoV-2 specimens for surveillance purposes and variant detection
* Work with staff on effective bioinformatics procedures
* Oversee design and implementation of bioinformatics tools and methods
* Design and participate in Next Generation Sequencing Analysis research studies and supervise staff in conducting research projects
* Represent the agency in meetings and conferences
* Coordinate bioinformatics activities with intra- and inter-agency partners
* Actively participate in monitoring regulatory requirements and maintain quality assurance of laboratory operations
* Draft and approve written protocols (SOPs)
* Maintain accurate records of methods and software tools design
* Write original manuscripts for publication based on data analyses and product development
Experience with common tools for Next Generation Sequencing Analysis (NGSA), including reference-based analysis and de novo sequencing analysis (knowledge of open source and commercial microbial NGS analysis pipelines) and genome annotation
A PhD or MS degree in the biological sciences with extensive experience in the technical and administrative operations of a Clinical or Public Health Laboratory
Strong analytical and organizational skills; Excellent oral, inter-personal and written communication skills.
FPHNYC offers a comprehensive benefits package. The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience.
There is a potential for this position to transition to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
DOHMH has a residency requirement that must be met within 90 days of appointment at DOHMH.
To apply, send Resume, with Cover Letter, including how your experience relates to this position. We ask that you do not contact our staff directly and no phone inquiries please. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health…