1776 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
About Power to Decide
Power to Decide, the campaign to prevent unplanned pregnancy, believes that all young people should have the opportunity to pursue the future they want, realize their full possibility, and follow their intentions. These beliefs guide our work to ensure that all young people have the power to decide if, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant. We provide objective, evidence- based information about sexual health and contraceptive options, and we work to guarantee equitable access to and information about the full range of contraceptive methods. We are a national, non-partisan organization that is committed to common ground, common sense solutions and catalyzing innovation in the public and private sectors.
The Senior Content Manager will create, improve, and edit digital and print content for the organization. The senior manager will develop content for Power to Decide web site as well as for all of the organization’s professional programs, including but not limited to Select360, One Key Question®, and its public policy initiatives. The senior manager must be organized and able to develop clear and engaging content that appeals to a variety of target audiences, but maintains a consistent brand tone and voice. The senior manager must have the ability and skills to translate highly technical medical, research, public health and public policy findings into concise, engaging, actionable material for diverse target audiences.
We are looking for an individual who is energetic, outgoing, creative, and who has a demonstrated ability to produce technical, policy, and professional content, such as how-to guides, training materials, policy briefs, and tip sheets. In addition, this position will serve as the final editor for the organization to ensure quality, accuracy, and organizational style. Duties beyond writing and editing include proofreading, document formatting, style review, and brand maintenance. This individual will report to the Director of Media Relations and be a member of the Marketing & Communications team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the content creation process and producing content from concept to completion for all organizational professional, research, and policy materials.
- Developing content for print and online collateral.
- Reading, analyzing, and synthesizing medical and public health research and creating content to convey the salient points.
- Day-to-day management of all professional content.
- Initiating, developing, and overseeing organizational and policy content and editorial products.
- Providing day-to-day editing and editorial support to all organizational departments.
We are looking for someone who will think big, embrace innovation, and seek new ways of addressing issues. S/he will be collaborative and proactive; value diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives; be responsible, conscientious, adaptive, and resourceful. S/he will be able to comfortably embrace a non-ideological “big tent” approach to sexual health and unplanned pregnancy prevention and be passionate about creating a culture in which all young people can thrive.
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in English, Communications, Journalism or Public Health. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least have 5-7 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in writing and editing scientific, policy, or health-related content in a manner that is accessible to the mainstream audience.
- Understanding of graphic design, video production, or brand management with a nonprofit or NGO organization preferred.
- Must have strong creative and verbal skills, strong attention to details, and ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
- A passion and skill for the written word, and excellent substantive editing, copyediting, proofreading, and fact-checking skills.
- Must be a self-starter who can solve problems creatively, multi-task productively, and pay meticulous attention to details.
- Ability to develop quality content under tight deadlines and work successfully with frequently changing priorities.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of AP and Chicago style guides and the ability to develop and maintain in-house style guides.
- Proposal writing, editing, and/or management experience preferred.
This is exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience and Power to Decide has an excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, 403b, flexible spending accounts, flexible work schedules, and generous leave. Power to Decide is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive, multicultural environment. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, parenting status (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniformed service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Minimum Education Required