The Government Relations and Policy team works with governments at a local, national, and regional level to advocate on behalf of One Acre Fund clients. The team builds relationships with government officials to keep them informed about our work, ensure we comply with all laws related to our field work, and create opportunities to better serve our clients. The team also advocates across Africa, the United States, and Europe to improve policies that benefit smallholder farmers. The Global Director of Government Relations and Policy will lead the team as it expands into new countries and new policy landscapes. Responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of 50+ government relations staffers with local, national, and regional portfolios
- Mentoring individual staff members to become stronger leaders and more effective managers
- Setting the vision for government relations operations in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia and all pilot countries
- Leading strategy for policy and advocacy projects across Africa, the United States and Europe
- Driving organizational risk management on key issues related to political and immigration trends in the countries where One Acre Fund operates
- Ensuring government relations staff provide clear analysis and support to One Acre Fund leadership on expansion planning, both in new and existing countries
- Ensuring all required licenses and registrations are secured for the complete portfolio of products offered in each country program, including in new fields like nutrition
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 8-10+ years work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 8+ years experience working with governments on behalf of organizations or policy initiatives.
- Significant experience working in international development or related industries, ideally in work that touches on the private sector or social enterprises.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large, multi-country teams with varied professional development needs.
- Energy and flexibility. We are looking for candidates who show a passion for this work, and who thrive in fast-changing management and government environments.
- Strong relationship manager with experience in identifying and securing advocates across a number of African governments.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple country offices and departments (remote workplace experience preferred).
- Willingness to travel internationally for 8 to 10 weeks a year.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Top-performing academic background.
- Humilty. We are looking for professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Languages: English required; Swahili or French desirable.
PREFERRED START DATE
East Africa capital city (with travel internationally required 8 to 10 weeks per year)
Full-time job; long-term commitment
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
All expressions of interest will be strictly confidential.
African nationals strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, visit this website: http://grnh.se/ui0fy31