District of Columbia
Reports to: Managing Director, Campaigns
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time; Exempt
We’re looking for a Federal Affairs Director to lead and manage the Hub Project’s outreach to Capitol Hill. This is a new role that will be a part of the Hub’s leadership team and help to drive our national legislative priorities and develop strategies on how to best push a progressive policy agenda.
Working within the campaigns team, you’ll be responsible for identifying, developing, and managing key strategic relationships with members of Congress, and will work with teams across the Hub to align our strategy with that of our partner organizations. You’ll also work with our various issue campaigns to make sure our allies are up-to-date on our efforts and informed about our programs.
Additionally, you’ll work on a new, ongoing undertaking the Hub Project is in the process of launching and incubating. The project, tentatively titled the “Groundwork Collaborative,” will focus on advancing a coherent economic worldview within the broader progressive movement. We’ll work with partners from across the movement to weave a through line among efforts and policy ideas that too often seem disparate.
This is a senior position that will play an integral leadership role at the Hub Project. We need someone with an understanding of how Congress works, a knack for outreach and working with partners, and a passion for creative problem-solving.
As Federal Affairs Director, you’ll:
- Manage the Hub Project’s Capitol Hill relationships and develop and execute a plan for outreach to members on our key initiatives
- Ensure that our allies are kept engaged and up-to-date on our various campaigns and programs
- Work collaboratively across the Hub to develop our Federal strategy and then manage its execution
- Collaborate with Hub Project staff on other teams (digital, communications, research) to be responsive to requests from allies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- You have a bachelor’s degree or higher
- You have experience working in at least two Congresses in a variety of capacities and/or in a similar federal affairs role for another group
- You’re excellent at developing and managing relationships
- You have existing relationships among elected officials, their senior staff, and leaders within the progressive space
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills; including presenting to Congress people and senior leaders
- You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- You’re well-organized and live for the details
- You’re a creative problem-solver and enjoy the minutia of Congressional procedure
- You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans and passionate about preserving and strengthening our democratic institutions
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a growing team of communicators, researchers, and organizers with experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups to build creative and effective campaigns.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail your resume and cover letter as PDF or Word attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.