Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Impact Associate/Paralegal. In this role, you will contribute to a wide range of projects across our litigation and policy work, and develop and hone skills in project management, writing, and communications. The ideal candidate possesses an entrepreneurial, action-oriented mindset; strong interpersonal skills; excellent writing, research, and communication skills; and an affinity for team collaboration and partnership.
You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Impact Associate/Paralegal will:
- Manage work streams on various impact project teams and balance numerous priorities
- Write memoranda synthesizing research conducted in connection with Protect Democracy’s litigation, communications, and policy advocacy work
- Support litigation efforts: assist attorneys in preparing for court appearances, coordinate and conduct court filings, and design and maintain systems to track legal proceedings
- Cite-check, fact-check, and proofread court filings, reports, letters, and other public-facing documents
- Prepare, submit, and track Freedom of Information Act requests; draft and assist attorneys with filing Freedom of Information Act complaints
- Work on our policy and advocacy project teams to develop and advance new approaches for protecting democracy in partnership with other NGOs, lawmakers, and legal scholars
- Draft op-eds and other communications materials including press releases, tweets, talking points, outreach emails, and blog posts
- Help design and curate content for Protect Democracy’s website
- Engage with partners, clients, opposing counsel, and other external stakeholders
- Strategize with other team members and actively contribute ideas during impact and litigation project brainstorming sessions
- Propose and/or lead new impact projects to advance Protect Democracy’s mission
- One or more years of professional work experience in paralegal or litigation support role
- Strong writing, research, editing, and proofreading skills
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Project management experience and an ability to manage up, down, and sideways
- Willingness to learn new research, communications, and policy skills and processes
- Nimbleness and an ability to perform well in a rapid-paced environment
- Comfort with an open culture that values giving and receiving feedback
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration and working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics
- Passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions and ensuring those structures serve all people
About Protect Democracy
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes: three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.