Ada Developers Academy (Ada) is a non-profit, tuition-free coding school for women and gender expansive adults. We focus on serving black, latine, indigenous, and pacific islander communities, low income people, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. Our program consists of two highly immersive parts: six months of focused instruction, and five months of internship at partner companies, where students refine their skills working on real-world code.
About this position
We are looking for a Senior People Operations Manager to build, manage, and grow Ada’s HR function, ensuring legal compliance and implementation of Ada’s mission and talent strategy. You will work closely with the VP of People and Operations as a strategic thought partner and bring your knowledge and expertise in all things HR with a “can do” learning attitude in the areas in which you have less familiarity. As a newly established team within a growing organization, the ideal candidate will be able to think big picture while owning this role soup-to-nuts. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with a base salary of $85,000 to $105,000 annually (DOE).
HR Management (50%)
- Support the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures, including preparing and maintaining the employee handbook, and managing staff communication;
- Identify compliance requirements along with required training and/or documentation, and implement a process to ensure organizational compliance; Stay up to date in knowledge of trends, best practices, and regulatory changes in HR and employment law;
- Serve as the primary contact for employment attorneys and HR related agencies, manage relationships with benefits brokers;
- Own benefits administration from open enrollment to supporting day to day needs; Benchmark, review and revise benefits offerings annually;
- Manage leave administration for STD, LTD, FFCRA, and other forms or paid leave;
- Provide guidance as we transition from a fully-remote organization to a hybrid-model.
Employee Relations (25%)
- Be the main point of contact for employee relations and be able to manage with confidentiality and compassion.
- Manage employee communication
- Identify opportunities to strengthen employee morale and develop a roadmap for prioritizing employee engagement;
- Build and manage the end to end offboarding process to give staff a positive sendoff.
Hiring and Talent Management (15%)
- Partner with leadership to identify staffing and talent development needs;
- Own the Ada hiring process, including design and implementation of a consistent interview process, train hiring managers, customize the ATS, and provide assistance as needed.
- Design and execute new hire onboarding and continually seek feedback to refine processes;
- Initiate and lead staff learning and development, identifying opportunities for staff at all levels to continue their professional growth as well as potential training partners;
- Create and execute strategic initiatives, examples include: compensation philosophy and benchmarking, total rewards, career pathing and promotions, and performance management.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to prepare and manage the annual budget for compensation, benefits, professional development, and additional perks.
HRIS Management (10%)
- Manage Rippling (HRIS), build out integrations, troubleshoot issues, add templates, and continue to leverage new features;
- Ensure employee records are accurate, up to date, and compliant;
- Partner with the Director of Finance to ensure payroll compliance for out of state candidates.
- 7+ years of experience in HR, with SHRM certification preferred; Experience working in nonprofit or start-ups, preferred;
- Knowledge of local, state, federal labor laws and best practices for risk mitigation;
- Proven experience leading change processes effectively and efficiently;
- Innate sense of ownership with demonstrated ability to work independently with limited direction;
- Demonstrated success managing employee relations, with a high degree of discretion, professional ethics, and judgment;
- Strong communication skills with exceptional attention to detail and service-orientation;
- Excitement and desire to work in a fast-paced environment during a period of growth, where there are many opportunities to create and build systems, processes, and policies;
- Enthusiastic support of Ada’s mission and demonstrated embodiment of Ada’s values in a professional environment.
We hope to be drivers of change, and believe having a team of diverse backgrounds will enable us to strengthen our impact for others. Ada is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. EOE, including disability/vets.