112 Pleasant Acres Road
The Pennsylvania Immigration Resource Center (PIRC) is a non-profit legal services organization that provides legal services, advocacy and education for vulnerable immigrants in the community and detention, including survivors of torture, individuals with mental illness, families in detention, and victims of violence. PIRC has searching for a full-time Managing Attorney, Detention Programs to join our team of passionate and dedicated professionals, working on the front lines to make a lasting difference. The Managing Attorney will play a pivotal leadership role in the organization, at a time when advocacy for immigrants in detention could not be more critical. The Managing Attorney will manage all direct representation in the Detention Programs and report to the Executive Director.
· Maintain a client caseload of detained individuals seeking relief from removal including representation before the York Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and other federal agencies and including representation of individuals found incompetent and referred to PIRC through the National Qualified Representative Program.
· Maintain and navigate relationships with governmental agencies, nonprofit providers and other stakeholders.
· Manage and supervise five Detention Programs Staff Attorneys and one paralegal, supervising all legal services. Manage training for Detained Program staff. Assist in recruitment, training and supervision of law school interns.
· Assist in coordinating and managing PIRC’s Pro Bono Program; provide training opportunities and CLEs, technical assistance, and mentoring to volunteer attorneys. Work with Executive Director to ensure compliance with contract and grant requirements.
· Support PIRC’s LOP staff attorneys in conducting Know-Your-Rights presentations, individual intakes, and pro se workshops at the immigration detention centers, as needed.
· Support PIRC’s outreach and community education and legal clinics.
· Other tasks as assigned.
· Law degree and licensed to practice law before the bar of any state in the U.S.
· Proficiency in Spanish (both written and verbal) required.
· At least three to five years’ experience practicing immigration law, experience in removal defense preferred.
· Strong management and interpersonal skills; experience in working with a wide range of government, nonprofit and private stakeholders.
· Passion for PIRC's mission and demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice.
· Strong sense of personal initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks without extensive supervision.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent legal research and writing skills.
The staff at PIRC are its greatest strength. At PIRC, staff work in a collaborative environment that encourages the sharing of ideas and victories, no matter the how large or small. PIRC offers a comprehensive benefits package including simple IRA, life insurance, generous paid leave and flexible policies in a reflection of the organization’s commitment to self-care. Members of PIRC are passionate, intelligent, and hardworking individuals all committed to the common cause of providing access to justice for immigrants.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, three references and a brief writing sample to Elizabeth Miller, Office Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.