315 Guthrie Street Suite 300
- Manage legal intake process, including coordinating intake review, responses, and data entry;
- Manage filings, calendar deadlines, and ensure compliance with local rules in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels. Cite check and proofread pleadings to be filed with the courts;
- Assist in the review of large quantities of documents for relevance and use in active litigation;
- Prepare documents for filing in court using PACER and Kentucky’s eFiling system;
- Coordinate legal volunteers, including cooperating attorneys, and law interns;
- Maintain litigation records, including pleadings, exhibits, depositions, discovery documents, correspondence, memos and related documents.
- Prepare reports; and
- Perform other administrative tasks.
- Legal assistant or equivalent experience strongly preferred;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills. Successful candidates should have the ability to manage their own workflow in a fast‐paced, deadline driven environment while coordinating with multiple other department members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong interpersonal aptitude;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, basic Excel functions, and Adobe Acrobat; or proven ability to troubleshoot and learn new software;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to anticipate administrative needs and tasks;
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and multi-task under pressure and without sacrificing attention to detail;
- Commitment to ACLU’s mission required; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, immigration status, criminal history and socio‐economic circumstances, required;
- Familiarity with PACER, Lexis, and/or Westlaw strongly preferred;
- Familiarity or experience with civil rights and civil liberties issues preferred.
The ACLU of Kentucky offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance and generous paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will only be accepted electronically in MSWord or PDF format, and must include the following:
- a detailed letter of interest,
- resume, and
- contact information for three professional references.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com and include “Legal Assistant Application” in the subject line.
The position will remain open until filled.