Full Time Contract
International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
km 45 Carretera Mexico-Veracruz, El Batan
Texcoco de Mora
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Wheat Communications Officer to work in the Corporate Communications (CC) of CIMMYT, in conjunction with the director of the CIMMYT Global Wheat Program (GWP), the manager of CGIAR Research Program on Wheat (WHEAT), and the head of CC. In support of fundraising and effective partnerships, help foster a positive image of GWP, WHEAT, and CIMMYT aims, activities, and outputs among key partners, funders, and stakeholders.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Develop strategic messaging, a general strategy, and a work plan for communications in support of GWP and WHEAT, in the framework of CIMMYT strategic communications and keyed to important events and expected achievements.
- Prepare WHEAT annual reports (one for CGIAR and one for general audiences; both as e-documents).
- Plan and execute communications activities or campaigns around key events and expected achievements.
- Keep abreast of key GWP, WHEAT, and stakeholder achievements and activities in science and research for development, and produce engaging stories and other communications outputs; where possible directly involving communications specialists from partner organizations. This may involve international travel and field reporting.
- Target and promote stories with conventional media and through digital platforms (website, social media).
- Maintain and strengthen social media channels.
- Revise, update and maintain the content of the WHEAT web page and curate the CGIAR web page for WHEAT.
- Keep in contact and share relevant information with CGIAR Research Programs communicators.
- Support GWP / WHEAT scientists and management in technical publishing and communication (e.g., editing journal articles, funding proposals, posters, et al.) and in communications with the media and other non-scientific audiences, including leveraging significant outcomes among relevant audiences.
- Keep abreast of news on wheat (science, markets, nutritional issues, crises) and related issues (crop disease outbreaks, climate science and events, et al.), with an eye to opportunities for promoting GWP/WHEAT messages and impacts.
- Support communications (internal and external) by GWP/WHEAT management and administration.
- Drawing on the above, contribute as agreed with the head of CC to overall CIMMYT communications.
- Take part in and contribute to GWP, WHEAT, and CC staff meetings.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in in Journalism, Communications, or related discipline (a bachelor’s degree with relevant experience will be considered).
- At least 5 years of experience in science communications, marketing, public relations, media campaigns, and/or nonprofit communications.
- Non-profit organization experience or demonstrated understanding of the non-profit and/or agricultural research for development environments.
- Clear grasp of communications strategies and creativity in applying them to raise awareness of CIMMYT’s activities and achievements.
- Ability to express technical concepts in clear and simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public.
- Proficiency in English, including ability to interact confidently with colleagues and external. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable but not required.
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Decision-Making, Relationship Management, Problem-Solving, Innovation and Creativity and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Level of Language Proficiency
English 100%/Spanish (considered as an advantage)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates must apply online to IRS18123 Wheat Communications Officer. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, 4 June 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (email@example.com)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.