Controller Job Announcement
Job Title: Controller
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Los Angeles, CA Headquarters
FLSA Status: Exempt
CARECEN is looking for an experienced Controller to work with the executive director and administrative team to plan, direct and supervise the organization's financial affairs to include reporting, tax compliance, cost accounting and planning. The Controller must have a mission-driven approach to financial strategy.
Since its founding in 1983, CARECEN has been working to change an unjust immigration system, win legal status for immigrants, and foster community activism on issues such as education reform, workers’ and immigrants’ rights, economic justice and community strengthening.
CARECEN is the largest Central American immigrant rights organization in the country. Our mission is to empower Central Americans and all immigrants by defending human and civil rights, working for social and economic justice, and promoting cultural diversity. We envision Los Angeles becoming a place where Central Americans and all other communities live in peace and dignity, enjoying economic well-being, social justice, and political empowerment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned by supervisor
- Administers and maintains all organizational financial records including books of original entry, supporting schedules and subsidiary ledgers.
- Continually evaluates established financial/accounting policies and procedures and makes recommendations for updates or modifications as necessary.
- Collects and analyzes financial data to provide management with internal reports.
- Provides for an annual budgeting and planning process to insure long term financial sustainability.
- Supports all levels of the organization in budget preparation through training and by providing relevant information when appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains cost allocation policies for the organization.
- Attends, participates and provides special reporting and analysis of financial information to Board management and finance committee meetings as appropriate.
- Establishes procedures for reviewing and approving budgeted expenditure justifications and approvals.
- Administer accounting information system to track specific operational and financial data.
- Works to implement and update systems, including payroll, fixed asset management, expense management, and cash management, among others.
- Cooperates with and assists external auditors as appropriate
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Develops and maintains an effective team through the selection, training, provides direction, professional development as well as planning, assigning and directing work; addressing complaints, and resolving problems, evaluating and disciplining up to termination. Develops and maintains a program for sound employee relations with all finance employees.
- The position supervises the Administration team
- Administers the activities of the general accounting, finance and business planning projects and teams.
Our Ideal Candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Active CPA and/or CMA certification required.
- Five to eight years non-profit experience strongly preferred.
- Five to eight years of experience in managing high performance team, preferred.
- The controller oversees all aspects of CARECEN’s financial/accounting functions. For example, responsible for planning, budgeting, directing ledger accounts, and financial statements and cost control systems.
- Ensure financial/accounting records and reporting comply with government regulations.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting invoices and reimbursement requests on a regular basis.
- Experience with organization, systems development and training.
- Effective mediation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to problem solving and find suitable solutions to immediate challenges.
- Manage the financial compliance of CARECEN as 501 (C) 3 organizations. Necessary knowledge and understanding of relevant accounting, tax and compliance rules and regulations for 501 (C) 3.
- Prepares and monitors the organization’s budgets and internal systems via Microsoft excel and QuickBooks among others.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial issues and concepts to both financially minded persons and all others within and external to CARECEN.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to supervise others, set departmental and organizational goals, support and evaluate colleagues and reports, and maintain high morale and productivity.
- In collaboration with the development department staff, monitors grant invoicing and receivables, communication with funders as needed.
- Ensures effective financial internal controls for the department
- Detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with outside financial concerns such as banks, lending institutions and contributors.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with proven track record of executing key initiatives.
- Strong skills in time-management and attention to detail is required.
- Ensures that external document submission and filings are accurate and timely.
- A reputation for maintaining high personal standards of integrity, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Ability to pass a non-profit accounting test during the interview process.
- Passion for CARECEN’s mission.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business is required. Significant prior experience (five to eight years) with non-profit accounting, management of federal awards and administration of grant cost allocation procedures is preferred. Spanish fluency preferred
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position includes a comprehensive benefits package including, medical, dental, and vision.
Classification and Work Schedule:
This is a full-time, exempt position. Office hours of operation are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position. Office is located at CARECEN’s central Los Angeles headquarters.
Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. Please email cover letter, resume and three references to Marlon Fuentes (email@example.com). Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No soliciting inquiries.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
More on CARECEN’s Comprehensive Benefits:
Holidays and Paid Time Off
- 11 paid holidays
- 10 vacation days in your first year
- 3 personal days per year
- 10 sick days per year
Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- CARECEN offers a number of medical health plans that are 100% paid plans for staff and 90% of the top tier Kaiser Permanente Platinum Plan all starting on the 1st of the month following 30 days of employment
- Additionally, we pay 80% of the premiums for dependents.
- CARECEN has employee perks with CalChoice insurance holder
- Dental and vision coverage are inexpensive
FSA and Dependent Care FSA
- CARECEN offers FSA plans to help offset the costs of eligible health care expenses for you, your spouse, and your eligible dependents using pre-tax dollars
- We also offer Dependent Care FSA to pay for eligible dependent care services, such as preschool, summer day camp, before or after school programs, and child or adult daycare.
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
- CARECEN staff are eligible to enroll in our 403(b) plans after the 30 day waiting period, contributing pre-tax dollars towards their retirement goals
- After 2 years on staff, CARECEN will match 100% of contributions up to $1,000 per year. After 7 years, CARECEN will increase the match to $2,000
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- As a 501(c)3, qualified CARECEN staff are eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- CARECEN contributes 50% toward the Metro Tap Card program
- Staff interested in commuting via the Metro transit are eligible for the reduced program for a monthly fee less than $20
- CARECEN staff save around $800 when they join the Metro program
Job Type: Full-time