Details: $25 - 30 an hour for 25 hours a week, depending on experience
R. F. & Associates is seeking a Clinical Case Manager position who wants to work with veterans with chronic mental illness in San Francisco. This is an ideal position for a recent licensed MSW graduate to work for an organization that provides community-based residential and treatment services to veterans with chronic mental illness authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs at Fort Miley and the Downtown Clinic. This is a 25-hour position that pays $30 an hour, not to exceed $3,000 per month.
The Clinical Case Manager provides clinical care, case management and actively supports the needs of the veterans in the program. All the veterans have been diagnosed as chronically mentally ill, e.g., schizophrenia, major affective disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety, and have been homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. The veterans live in an integrated housing community consisting of veterans and non-veterans.
The Clinical Case Manager must be able to provide services, either directly or with the coordination of the VA clinical staff or through community resources to include:
- Manage a caseload of 15-18 veterans and meet weekly with each veteran to assess their progress on their individual discharge plan for a successful permanent, community-based housing placement.
- Case Management: In collaboration with the VA and/or using community resources, provide individual counseling, including counseling on self-care skills, adaptive coping skills, support for transitioning into an alcohol and drug abuse-free lifestyle and, as appropriate, vocational rehabilitation counseling.
- Group Activities: Coordinate services as appropriate, either directly or with the coordination of the VA clinical staff or through community resources. Services could include group therapy, social skills training, life-skill training, independent living training, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, vocational counseling and physical activities as appropriate.
- VA Coordination: Coordinate and refer to appropriate Veterans Affairs professionals for health, mental health, and other services, including VA residential treatment programs for addiction, homelessness, and/or PTSD, as well as outpatient treatment as recommended by VA providers. Communicate with VA staff about notable clinical events such as new medical or mental health symptoms, unexpected departures from the facility, intoxication, etc.
- Life Skills: Assist veterans to develop responsible living patterns and to achieve a more adaptive level of psychosocial functioning, upgraded social skills, and improved personal relationships.
- Discharge Planning: In conjunction with the VA Mental Health Treatment Coordinators / Mental Health staff, aid in discharge planning. Housing needs will be assessed upon arrival and resources will be coordinated for veterans to be discharged to permanent, community-based housing placement. Clinical Case Manager will assist to create an initial discharge plan within thirty days that includes identified objectives and target dates for task completion(s), and for which progress shall be evaluated and documented on an ongoing basis for the duration of the veteran’s admission.
- Management of Medications: Medications and narcotics for veterans are properly stored, controlled, issued and recorded in compliance with physicians’ orders. Veterans may self-administer medications, but at a minimum, the Clinical Case Manager will provide a means of securely and properly storing all medications brought into the program for veteran use. Storage shall ensure that no other residents are able to access an individual veteran’s medication.
- Clinical Issues: Establish and review a written protocol with the SF VA Mental Health team for managing medical and behavioral emergencies, including severe psychiatric symptoms, self-harm and violence, severe alcohol withdrawal (delirium tremens), and management of intoxication.
- Transportation: Support the veterans in finding solutions for their local transportation needs (e.g. to scheduled meetings, appointments, etc.).
- Record Keeping: Timely completion of documentation of services in accordance with the Department of Veterans Affairs recording standards. The Clinical Case Manager shall maintain an individual client record on each veteran admitted and shall comply with the requirement of the “Confidentiality of Certain Medical Records (38 USC 4132) and the “Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient” (42 CFR, Part II). All records shall be secured and confidential. Records will be made available on a need-to-know basis to appropriate VA staff members involved with the treatment program of the veterans concerned.
- Represents R. F. & Associates professionally with VA Mental Health, in the community and participate in community meetings and presentations as assigned.
- Masters in Social Work or Counseling from an accredited university or college.
- Registered intern or associate with California BBS required.
- Licensed (LCSW or MFT).
- Demonstrated ability to work with homeless or formerly homeless individuals and those struggling with substance use and mental health issues and disabilities.
- Maintain the highest level of client confidentiality; follow HIPPA regulations.
- Fulfillment of TB clearance, fingerprinting and state clearance, and any other mandatory state/federal requirements.
- Demonstrated cultural responsiveness in working with diverse families and communities.
- Clean driving record; current CA Driver’s License.
- Must have access to dependable transportation; personal car insurance meeting minimum liability coverage required if the position requires driving for work or transporting participants.
- Basic computer and keyboarding competence with the ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and/or competency with electronic clinical documentation systems.
- $25 - 30 an hour for 25 hours a week depening on status of license (LCSW or MFT)
- The position is based in San Francisco.
Minimum Education Required