KIPP LA Public Schools operates tuition-free, open enrollment public charter schools focused on preparing students in under-resourced communities for choice filled lives. We currently operate 17 schools and serve over 7,300 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- The Public Programs Associate will be part of the Academic Team and report to the Public Programs Senior Associate. The Associate will support our schools with federal and state funding compliance. Current compliance focus for this role is on KIPP LA’s After School Programs, the After School Education and Safety (ASES) and 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) grants. Additionally, this position provides support and coaching to After School Coordinators and staff to ensure quality programming.
- KIPP LA currently has 13 After School Programs serving about 1,700 students across east, southeast and south Los Angeles.
- Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and grant management skills as well as excellent stakeholder and people skills. The candidate must be highly organized with strong project management skills, the ability to implement strong systems for tracking, reporting and program improvement, and must be able to produce a quality work product within, at times, tight time constraints.
- The candidate should be sensitive to the demands of diverse stakeholders. They should also process the diplomacy necessary to keep the needs of our schools as their first priority at all times, while at the same time ensuring we are meeting all federal and state compliance.
- Collect data on best practices for program implementation and dissemination
- Evaluate programming at school sites as well as support the site based After School Coordinator in making improvements
- Monitor standard use of After School Program policies and procedures at schools
- Assist After School Coordinators with developing efficient and correct dismissal policies and procedures
- Assist After School Coordinators with the ASP snack and supper management
- Support After School Coordinators in all aspects of After School Programs, including Programming, Grant Compliance, Attendance audits, student health and safety, enrollment, hiring protocols, etc.
- Obtain and maintain special training, experience and knowledge regarding extended learning best practices and industry trends
- Serve as a subject matter expert on After School Programming and the ASES and 21st CCLC Grants as well as facilitate the sharing of best practices across the region, including documenting standard After School Program policies and procedures for schools
Human Capital Management & Support
- Work with the Talent Acquisition team to recruit, interview, and filter candidates for vacant ASP positions
- Support with the Regional After School Coordinators monthly Community of Practice meetings and Instructor Cohorts
- Support with creating high quality training and professional development for After School Program staff
- Assist school based managers with training and on-boarding new school After School Program Coordinators
Application & Reporting
- Create an effective and efficient method for gathering necessary information for reporting from all school sites including stakeholder feedback, program offerings, events, etc
- Assist schools with completing all reporting and applications for the After School Program
- Train and monitor school based coordinators on grant assurances
- Lead annual quality assessment and improvement process for all programs
- Complete ongoing compliance audits of attendance, programming, required forms and maintain documentation of audit outcomes for public grants dashboard
- Make recommendations to the Senior Associate and school leaders on meeting and maintaining program compliance
- Detailed Oriented - Implements internal checks to ensure the accurate review of data
- Self directed - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Planning/Organization - Priorities and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, develops realistic action plans
- Written and Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively, listens and gets clarification, able to read and interpret written information with attention to detail
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality, demonstrates accuracy and thoughtfulness
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information, collects and researches data, uses data to drive decision making
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, treats others with respect and consideration, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows through on commitments
- Growth Mindset- Open to receiving and giving productive and impactful feedback for the betterment of our programs, and ultimately our schools
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 4 years work experience in After School programs
- Management experience required
- Experience with charter schools preferred
- Experience working with ASES and 21st CCLC grants preferred
- Concern for operating compliant programs required
- Demonstrated ability to coach and foster the professional development of others, including ability to design and facilitate training sessions
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute effectively
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, adjust priorities and work autonomously
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships and work effectively in a collaborative environment
- Track record of leadership, integrity, initiative, curiosity and perseverance
- A demonstrated passion for KIPP LA’s mission