Apply to help Real Food Real Stories (RFRS) curate and implement its central storytelling program to reach curious eaters and build an engaged food community. This role will also curate and implement fundraising events to engage RFRS community to support the organization. Through authentic storytelling and in-person gathering that humanizes the food system, you will help to inspire positive cultural and social change.
About Real Food Real Stories:
RFRS is a startup non-profit entering its third year. We seek to humanize the food system and connect eaters in regional food systems through powerful storytelling, transformative experiences and community building. We address the entire food chain, coaching and making available stories that inspire action. Our work is values-driven and relationship-centric, ranging from:
- 1:1 storytelling coaching,
- public and private live-storytelling gatherings,
- digital storytelling,
- storytelling workshops, and
- ongoing support for our storytellers
About the Position:
RFRS is looking for a dynamic & thoughtful collaborator who is passionate about building community and creating safe spaces for authentic food system stories and igniting cultural and social engagement. The Storytelling Event Producer (SEP) will oversee: curation of event experience, management of a calendar of live-storytelling and community gatherings, as well as curation and management of fundraising events, including the annual StorySlam. The SEP will work closely with the Founder/Project Director, Deputy Director and Communications Director and help lead the organization to a new phase of growth.
The ideal candidate is deeply aligned with RFRS’ mission, steadfast, and can leverage past experience to help build a viable organization in a fast changing environment. They enjoy juggling very different projects, building lasting relationships and an engaged community. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial professional looking to apply skills in a highly collaborative, mission-driven environment to create meaningful culture shift for the food system.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Work with Director and Deputy Director to design storytelling and fundraising gatherings
- Curate event experience and manage an engaging calendar of storytelling gatherings
- Work with volunteer coordinator to train event volunteers
- Manage and train intern(s) to support event-based programming
- Manage annual budget for gatherings and fundraisers
- Develop and manage food and beverage sponsorship relationships
- Participate in RFRS organizational development and goals.
- Contribute to an evaluation framework to assess the outcomes of gatherings and address areas for improvement.
- Serve as RFRS ambassador during partner events, as needed
- Manage and maintain event-based inventory
- Work with Communications Director to provide materials for event promotions to increase RFRS reach and community engagement
This is a 20 hour+ part-time, with an potential to increase, salaried position with excellent benefits. Pay is $25-$28/hour dependent on experience and hours. It’s really important for us to find someone who will own the role and nurture the organization’s growth. RFRS does not have an office, all team members work remotely with weekly in-person team meetings in San Francisco.
RFRS is a project of Earth Island Institute and this position will be an employee of EII.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Must be local to the Bay Area
- Ability to work nights and weekends on gatherings
- 2 years experience in event planning and management
- Effective at working and communicating remotely
- Has customer service in their DNA and be self-described as a “people person” to work with a variety of different stakeholders from storytellers, sponsors, attendees, donors.
- Passionate in empathy, connection and action.
- Empowering leadership to keep staff and volunteers on track
- Ability to be vulnerable & build authentic relationships, core values to RFRS
- Thrives in startup, creative environments and must be proactive and adaptive
- Strong organizational abilities: has an eye for detail without losing sight of the big picture.
- Relationship with Bay Area venues and mission-aligned food and beverage sponsors a plus.
- Has Driver’s License to bring supplies to and off venues. Has available car a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, including how your experience can help RFRS achieve their goals, resume, two references, to email@example.com. Please include “RFRS - Storytelling Event Producer” as the subject of your email. To read more about RFRS please visit www.realfoodrealstories.org.