This position is located in the Southern Region of the country and is responsible for administering data on organizing campaigns. The incumbent will assist the department and affiliates to utilize advanced data tools and techniques to facilitate data-driven campaigns and strategy. Successful candidates will have experience working in the field on organizing and/or political campaigns and will have used VAN extensively for organizing (political and/or labor). They also must have a thorough understanding of Excel.
- Assist AFSCME International Staff and affiliates in developing data processes to accurately measure progress toward organizing goals.
- Provide data driven strategic guidance on best tactics to achieve goals to organizing leadership.
- Manipulate voter, membership, volunteer and other person level data.
- Work with internal and external staff to establish best practices and standards for data collection, acquisition and preservation.
- Provide data, targeting and technological guidance on issue and electoral campaigns.
- Administer, support and train users on VAN and Catalist’s M Tool.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two (2) – Five (5) years of related work experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Effective analysis skills.
- Field and campaign experience.
- Strong commitment to the labor movement.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to communicate technical subjects to non–technical individuals.
- Advanced Excel skills are required and experience with database platforms like Microsoft Access and more advanced SQL and query construction is a plus (not required).
- Experience as an administrator on VAN, including creating users and generating reports.
- Some familiarity with datasets such as Catalist and NCEC.
- Understanding of common direct voter contact programs and labor organizing practices.
- Experience in the use of data and analytics to drive effective decision-making.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively and work under deadline pressures.
Travel, Driving & Work hours:
- Extensive travel, extended work hours required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.
In addition to a competitive salary, this position will also include:
- Full employer-paid health insurance for employee and family, including major medical, hospitalization, prescription drugs, vision, dental and orthodontia
- Health insurance for domestic partners
- Paid short term disability
- Paid long term disability
- Defined benefit pension plan (jointly paid)
- 401(k) savings plan
- Full employer-paid life insurance and accidental death benefits
- 3 weeks earned vacation per year
- 12 days earned sick leave per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Holiday release between Christmas and New Year's Day with pay
- Tuition assistance reimbursement plan
- Dependent care assistance plan (flexible spending account)
Employees filling an OPEIU or USU bargaining unit position are required to join the union and pay membership dues.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position please submit your cover and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
You may also visit our website for a list of our other vacancies, http://www.afscme.org/union/employment.
Please let us know you found this position on Idealist.