The #1 reason survivors stay in or return to abuse is because they can’t afford to leave or stay safe. FreeFrom, a Los Angeles-based organization with a national agenda, is working to dismantle the nexus between gender-based violence and financial insecurity so that survivors can thrive and live free from abuse.
FreeFrom uses new technology, social enterprise models, policy advocacy, and cross-sector collaborations to respond to the financial needs of survivors. We take a holistic, 3-pronged approach to our work:
1. Capacity Building / B2B – Integrating financial capacity building services into the existing movement against gender-based violence, e.g., through our Survivor Wealth and Wellness Train the Trainer Program and Survivor Wealth Summit.
2. Innovation / B2C – Providing financial capacity building services directly to survivors through technology and innovation, e.g., through our online Self-Help Compensation Compass and social enterprise online store, Gifted by FreeFrom.
3. Systems Change – Removing structural obstacles to survivors’ financial security, e.g., through policy advocacy and creating industry-wide guidelines and best practices for banks, financial institutions, credit card companies, and credit reporting agencies.
Visit our website to learn more about FreeFrom – www.freefrom.org
FREEFROM’S WORK CULTURE:
FreeFrom is a proudly queer, feminist and people of color-led organization. Our staff includes survivors who bring unique experiences, insights, and a drive to our work to end the cycles of violence. Our work is tailored to meet the needs of diverse communities of survivors, understanding that by making programming accessible to the most marginalized folks, our work is all the more effective for everyone.
FreeFrom is a start-up with a culture of innovation. So, we are constantly iterating and evolving as we work. However, our dedication to healthy collaboration, personal and professional growth, and wellness remains constant. We work remotely all over LA and when we meet, we share a co-working space. On a typical FreeFrom office day, you can find us: sharing our wins, challenges, and ideas for innovation; wearing stuffed animal slippers; sipping on tea, water, and coffee; talking astrology, art, literature, movies, healing, new research, and feel-good things; testing tech, local food, client products, and theories; and collaborating on exciting projects.
FreeFrom is looking for a deeply committed, dynamic, motivated, and creative Communications Specialist to join our team. This individual will work closely with our program directors and CEO to develop and implement approaches to spread awareness about FreeFrom and our work, engage with our supporters, and widen the conversation around economic justice and financial abuse.
The ideal candidate for this position is an excellent writer, designer and creator with an aptitude for thinking outside the box and testing new ideas.
· Build out social media calendar and create regular informational posts on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn;
· Work with CEO and program directors to draft content for distribution, including articles and op-eds;
· Design visuals for the brand, including informational flyers, annual reports, and infographics;
· Take pictures for the Gifted store and create story-telling strategy for the brand;
· Craft online media marketing strategies including social media and Google ads to widen knowledge and access to FreeFrom’s tools and services;
· Conduct regular updates of the website including maintaining SEO optimizations;
· Draft newsletters and other mailings;
· Create accessible self-help online resources for survivors around economic justice and financial abuse;
· Create and executive innovative awareness campaigns around the issues of economic justice and financial abuse.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
· Experience with Squarespace, Mailchimp, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and photography;
· Proven ability to present data in an accessible and compelling way;
· Proven ability to develop and successfully implement a media strategy;
· Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others;
· Outstanding written, speaking and interpersonal communication skills (written and oral);
· Proven commitment to advancing social justice (experience working in the movement against domestic or gender-based violence a plus);
· Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
· Excellent organizational skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
· Ability to work quickly and adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
· Comfortable with taking risks and otherwise bucking trends and traditional approaches;
· Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of professionalism; and
· Strong advocacy skills and an egalitarian, feminist, survivor-centered philosophy.
POSITION REPORTS TO
The #1 reason survivors stay in or return to abuse is because they can’t afford to leave or stay safe. FreeFrom, a Los Angeles-based organization with a national agenda, is working to dismantle the nexus between gender-based…
Excellent benefits and work perks, including flexible work from home time, 6-hour office day, unlimited paid vacation, paid sick leave, access to a variety of health insurance coverage options, optional dental, vision and life insurance, and 401(k) plan.
Excellent benefits and work perks, including flexible work from home time, 6-hour office day, unlimited paid vacation, paid sick leave, access to a variety of health insurance…
Please send the following as no more than two PDF documents to Sonya Passi, Founder and CEO via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and preferred pronouns in all documents:
- Descriptive cover letter;
- Detailed resume;
- Three professional references (please include title, relation, phone number and email address);
- Sample infographics or other visual displays of information AND/OR design work (please send as much of a portfolio as you have); and
- A sample of persuasive writing, e.g. a blog post or published article.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, parents, are / have been system impacted, have different abilities, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications / requirements.
Please send the following as no more than two PDF documents to Sonya Passi, Founder and CEO via email at: email@example.com. Please include your name and preferred pronouns in…