Details: Depended Upon Experience
633 17th Street
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Miami and Washington, DC.
Litigation Duties (85%)
· Performs basic legal and factual research.
· Has command of the local, administrative, and ECF rules in courts where litigation is pending.
· Maintains pleadings, general litigation, and correspondence files.
· Prepares filings, including filing checklist, table of contents, table of authorities, and all supplemental documents needed for filing.
· Creates tables and exhibits to be used in comments, court documents and presentations.
· Makes travel arrangements for attorneys.
· Assists in creation of and process of public records requests and Administrative Records.
· Assists in trial preparation when necessary.
· Takes initiative in drafting certain pleadings for attorneys (i.e. entry of appearances, various notices, substitutions and withdrawals, and Pro Hac Vice motions and orders).
· Reception duties, which include greeting and/or directing guests.
· Sort and distributes in-coming mail with Office Manager.
· Dispatches incoming calls as required.
· Assists with planning of office events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of relevant experience.
- At least three years of paralegal or legal assistant experience in a litigation setting.
· Outstanding organizational skills.
· Excellent computer skills, specifically expertise with Word, Adobe, Excel, and with one or more document management programs.
· Excellent command of spelling, punctuation, grammar.
· Outstanding written communication skills.
· Outstanding interpersonal skills.
· Familiarity with general rules of civil procedure and progression of litigation through the court system, with the ability to read and interpret local, ECF and administrative rules of court.
· Experience e-filing in superior, district, court of appeals, and supreme court levels.
· Attention to detail under pressure.
· Ability to solve problems proactively and creatively.
· Ability to prioritize and execute tasks individually and in a team setting.
· Excellent proofreader.
· Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
· Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
· Ability to meet deadlines, often under pressure.
· Flexibility in work schedule, when necessary.
· Must be a self-starter, team player, and multi-tasker.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Using the Jobvite application tool, please submit:
- Three references from people familiar with your work.
- One or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrates competence to work in this position with diverse clients and colleagues.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.