10 Davol Sq.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will be accountable for the operational success of SEG. The COO will lead internal operations including execution of the annual operations/strategic plan and budget. The COO will also be responsible and accountable for program planning, delivery, and quality control and performance management processes, which measure progress toward goals for the organization. The COO provides all staff with a day-to-day leadership presence and is responsible for developing and supporting all staff. The COO, together with CEO supports development and management of HR improvement activities including staff professional development, culture, team building, and is responsible to manage organizational growth, process and structure. The COO will lead Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts across the organization internally with regard to staff and volunteer representation, culture, and policies. Secondarily to internal responsibilities, the COO will be a key external face of Social Enterprise Greenhouse in the community and will be a driver of program expansion to new communities in an effort to promote economic equity, which is foundational to the SEG vision.
Program Strategy & Management
– Contribute to the development of SEG’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization;
– Lead execution of operations to achieve organizational strategic objectives;
– Working closely with CEO, contribute to the development and execution of pilot programs;
– Working closely with Program Directors/Managers, contribute to the development and execution of program strategies;
– Working closely with CEO, lead execution of overall metrics strategy accountable for overall program excellence.
Personnel Management & Leadership
– Lead, develop and manage staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals;
– Manage internal communication to maximize organizational efficiency;
– Lead in the upgrade and implementation of appropriate systems of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures;
– Manage continuous lines of communication, keeping the executive team informed of all critical issues;
– Lead daily support of staff via open door culture;
– Lead recruitment, hiring and onboarding of new staff members;
– Lead in the promotion of a culture of support and advancement for staff.
– Contribute to the senior team in financial planning, budgeting based on operations/programs;
– Lead program budget strategy and management;
– Contribute to transparency of budget process at all levels of organization;
– Lead and manage annual and program budget development processes.
Development / Communications
– Contribute to fundraising efforts and donor relations;
– Manage grant pipeline processes and reporting as appropriate;
– Contribute to the development and execution of an annual strategic communications plan.
– Working closely with the CEO, contribute to the cultivation of individual relationships and institutional partnerships;
– Lead the management of special projects throughout organization to ensure timely execution;
– Report to the board and serve on board committees when applicable.
Core Skills & Capacities
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and interests:
1. 8+ years’ experience with proven track record of effectively leading a complex social impact organization;
2. Demonstrated project management experience with successful track record;
3. Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills;
4. Experience with high-level organizational and program budgeting;
5. Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams;
6. Experience coaching staff including senior-level staff to develop high-performing teams;
7. Ability to exercise diplomacy and empathy in various stakeholder, staff, and partner relationships;
8. Inspirational and persuasive speaker to inspire staff, board, and volunteers to work toward common goals;
9. Commitment to processes of continuous improvement, entrepreneurial thinking, and high adaptability;
10. Steadfast dedication to provide a healthy, prosperous work environment for all staff, clients, and volunteers;
11. Leads collaborative, analytical decision-making with data-driven evidence;
12. Ability to serve as the face of the organization both internally & externally, when necessary;
13. BS/BA Degree or higher with a concentration in Organizational Leadership, Business Administration/Management, or similar is preferred.
Minimum Education Required