3601 E 1ST ST
KIPP LA Public Schools is a non-profit organization that operates free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public charter schools serving students in South, Southeast, and East Los Angeles. KIPP LA’s mission is to teach the academic skills, foster the intellectual habits, and cultivate the character traits needed for our students to thrive in school, college, and life. Through the success of our students, KIPP LA's team and family will serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Los Angeles.
KIPP LA currently operates 15 schools and serves approximately 6,500 students. Our team is expanding rapidly; over the next five years, we will more than double the number of students we serve.
- The College Success Counselor provides support to KIPP LA alumni in college with a focus on persistence, completion and career readiness. This position works with alumni enrolled at a variety of institutions including vocational and technical schools, community colleges and baccalaureate granting institutions.
- Additionally, they will provide direct assistance to alumni with part-time and non-enrolled status.
- The College Success Counselor works from the regional office and requires a significant amount of outreach to promote advising sessions and programming.
Alumni Support & Advising
- Serve as a counselor for a caseload of approximately 140 KIPP LA alumni in college and monitor their progress toward degree completion
- Develop intervention plans and work with at-risk students to connect them with support staff and other resources to improve academic standing
- Support alumni to maintain/improve financial aid packages
- Identify scholarship-related resources to assist KIPP alumni in scholarship application process
- Carry out direct outreach tactics for KIPP alumni enrolled in college on a part-time basis or not enrolled at all, and assist with reentry and full educational process
- Collaborate in the planning and execution of co-curricular initiatives as assigned. These may include: matriculation events, career-readiness workshops and transfer workshops
- Maintain and enhance outreach through technology (social media, text messaging, virtual advising, etc.) to improve communication to alumni
Relationship Management & College Partnership
- Develop and maintain key contacts at colleges and universities
- Support KTC sub-teams with programming events related to high school placement and college access
- Support College Access team with scholarship program partnerships
- Attend orientations, graduations, open houses and other student functions.
Marketing, Research & Data
- Consistently enter and track data using the Alumni Database
- Collect academic and financial data to guide follow-ups with students
- Research and stay current on higher education programs, trends and issues that impact students and make counselor recommendations based on best practices and research
- Assist in developing profiles of colleges based on performance, retention and graduation rates for underserved populations
- Assist in the utilization of an effective early-alert system for at-risk students; analyze attrition and student success outcomes and take action to improve retention
- Prepare marketing, publicity materials and reports as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required;Master’s degree in student personnel administration, counseling, higher education or related field preferred
- Minimum of one year experience providing direct counseling, advising, and coaching to students
- Ability and willingness to travel to school sites across Southern California
- Working knowledge of current retention practice theories with an emphasis on research, assessment and data-informed decision making
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities for first-generation college students
- Strong financial aid and scholarship support knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated event planning and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- KIPP LA life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP LA
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
KIPP LA Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please use the link provided.