Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Technical Support Manager (TSM) position provides leadership and mentoring to the entire Technical Support team located in several offices including Washington D.C., San Francisco, and Denver. The TSM will identify opportunities for professional growth for the Technical Support team, provide proactive management of the TST to produce problem resolution and quality performance in all aspects of their jobs The TSM will implement robust quality control procedures across all areas of support and end user hardware deployment. This position requires the ability to manage employees in regional offices across the US and the ability to communicate effectively and proactively with team members
The position will be required to make visits to our regional offices. Travel time for the TSM position is estimated to be 6 – 8 weeks per year with travel to Washington D.C., New York, Los Angeles, Seattle and Denver.
Outstanding management and leadership skills are required to effectively and successfully fulfill this role. Strong communication skills both written and verbal are required in order to lead the Technical Support staff. This position is based in San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC.
TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT LEADERSHIP (50%)
· The Technology Support team is located in several locations and needs a leader that will devote energy and time to supporting their efforts in providing the best possible support for the end users at Earthjustice.
· Function as a Technology Support “Transformer” by requiring new technology expertise within IT Support for Earthjustice technology initiatives across departments. This would include cloud document sharing, document management systems, work flow products and legal macros.
· Mentor Technical Support staff on proactively learning Earthjustice software applications and identifying technology needs within departments where IT can be of support.
PROJECT WORK (20%)
· Direct Technical Support staff on projects and support their project management efforts.
· Manage the IT efforts for offsite staff meetings; including planning, execution and on-site support ensuring that IT is providing the appropriate level of support.
· Participate in organizational workgroups.
· Participate in Transformers meetings and lead discussions when the VP of Technology is unavailable.
SOFTWARE/HARDWARE/NETWORK ADMINISTRATION (20%)
· Participate in regular drills to demonstrate that the Technical Support staff has the capabilities to respond to any network failure or data breach events. Ensure that each staff member clearly knows his or her role in responding to such incidents.
· Provide training for Technical Support staff as needed to prepare staff to fulfill their disaster recovery roles.
ADMINISTRATION – GENERAL (10%)
· Administration (General) – attend staff meetings, email management, timesheets and other administrative tasks.
MANAGEMENT (Essential Functions)
· Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
· Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
· Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
· Develops staff by providing career development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
· Provides staff with performance feedback and acts as a coach and mentor.
· Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models inclusive behavior.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Three plus years of management experience working in technology and supporting users in a variety of capacities.
· Experience with large organizations across multiple sites a plus.
· Law firm experience a plus.
· Experience with Microsoft 365 and cloud migrations a plus.
MANAGEMENT (Essential Skills)
· Ability to manage and lead a diverse team in a diverse environment with emotional intelligence and cultural competency.
· Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands team’s strengths and areas for development.
· Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
TECHNOLOGY (Essential Skills)
· Able to identify and report on critical KPIs for the Technical Support team.
· Experience learning new and varied software applications and the ability to transfer that knowledge to others.
· Experience with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows Server, and common 3rd party applications in an enterprise environment and law firm.
· Excellent customer service and troubleshooting abilities.
· Ability to motivate staff through mentoring and example.
· Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
*Supervisory Responsibilities: 5 direct reports located in various offices.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system. Please put the city you're interested in working in in your cover letter. Incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.