Details: VISTA Leader is paid a bi-weekly stipend of $654.50, or a little over $17,000 for the year. Compensation for the year of service is in the form of a stipend--this is not a salaried position.
43 Southwest Naito Parkway
The Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Team seeks a dedicated applicant to perform a second year of national service as our AmeriCorps VISTA Leader, supporting our cohort of 12 VISTA Members!
Term of Service: VISTA Leader will serve 1 year (365 days). Start date is flexible, but will be sometime in December 2018 or early January 2019.
Service Location: VISTA Leader will serve at Mercy Corps Northwest in downtown Portland, Oregon.
Program Description—Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Program
The Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Program works as an intermediary between AmeriCorps VISTA and Oregon nonprofits to develop capacity building projects and recruit, place, train, and support VISTA members in implementing these economic opportunity-focused projects. VISTAs serving with the Mercy Corps Northwest cohort oversee projects focusing on financial education, job skills training, microenterprise, financial asset development, food security, and affordable housing. They are placed throughout the region in various non-profits or government agencies to perform indirect service—working behind the scenes on projects such as volunteer recruitment, program development, and grant writing. Participating in the AmeriCorps VISTA program through Mercy Corps Northwest offers the opportunity to gain advanced project management skills and exercise creativity in program implementation—skills highly desired by employers.
VISTA Leader Position Summary
Based at Mercy Corps Northwest in Portland, OR, the VISTA Leader serves as the primary source of support for all VISTA members serving with the Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Team. The VISTA Leader supports VISTA members and the overall Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Team by:
- Coordinating & planning member training
- Mentoring members, providing technical assistance, and resolving conflicts & challenges
- Coordinating and conducting site visits
- Collecting monthly member reports & managing data
- Supporting outreach and recruitment efforts & sharing program impact
The VISTA Leader position is open to former VISTAs, AmeriCorps members, or Peace Corps volunteers who demonstrated exemplary skills and leadership in community service have completed a term of national service by November 2018.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or 2+ years relevant work experience
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Intercultural communication skills and experience working with diverse communities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office & Google Drive
- Strong team building/development, leadership, and conflict resolution skills
- Comfortable with complex rules/regulations
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with ability to prioritize tasks
- Preference given to those with experience in economically diverse environments
- Completion of one term of service with AmeriCorps VISTA, NCCC, or Peace Corps by November 2018 required
- A living allowance paid bi-weekly of $654.50, or about $17,000 for the year (before Federal taxes)
- Upon completion of a service term, the choice of a $1,800 end of service stipend or a $5,920 Segal Education Award that can be used towards education, including eligible student loans. Certain universities will match this award with their own scholarships.
- A healthcare allowance or benefit plan to cover approved medical expenses. Please note that this is not health insurance—members must secure their own health insurance.
- Relocation assistance (if moving more than 50 miles to serve)
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
- Training in topics such as communications, grant writing, and project management
- A $1,000 scholarship fund to use towards professional development opportunities relating to your VISTA project while in service
- Annual transit pass
- Upon completion of a service term, one year of Noncompetitive Eligibility for employment with the Federal Government
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Positions will be open until filled. Early applications strongly encouraged as selections are made on a rolling basis. Applicants must submit an application through the MyAmeriCorps portal. No other application materials will be accepted. Apply through the online portal here or through the link on the Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Open Positions page above.
For questions regarding the above positions or application process, please contact Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Program Supervisor, Matthew Cramer, email@example.com