The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. (LFA) is the nation’s leading voluntary organization exclusively serving the entire lupus community including persons with lupus, their families, physicians, researchers, and the public. We have redefined lupus research to expand efforts beyond funding research grants. Our approach is innovative and addresses the root problems that interfere with progress and sets a course to solve them. We focus on three critical goals: identifying the causes of lupus, discovering better ways to control symptoms and, ultimately, finding pathways to cure lupus.
The VP of Research will serve as a key advisor to the President and CEO and provides the vision and strategic collaboration to develop and execute LFA’s global research strategy. The Vice President is expected to possess the skills, dedication, and desire to explore and implement new approaches. This position requires working closely with internal and external stakeholders and the ability to motivate, lead and supervise the activities of others, develop realistic timelines and be able to solve problems in a fast-paced environment.
The Vice President of Research’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Serve as LFA’s strategic lead and main contact with the Medical – Scientific Advisory council and its chair; manage key staff to support the Medical/Scientific Advisory Council.
• Provide leadership in developing collaborations with external organizations that inform and guide LFA Research goals and objectives (ex: NIH, academic and industry partners, regulatory agencies, and domestic and international non-profit organizations).
• Serve as the LFA’s subject matter expert with key stakeholder communities on research priorities, grants and contracts, and provide consultative/supervisory support to other project managers.
• Maintain relationships with the drug development industry and key stakeholder communities involved in the research and development of lupus drug therapies.
• Participate in and guide the identification and evaluation of partnership opportunities; ongoing evaluation of alliances and impact.
• Manage and direct the LFA’s scientific and research staff, providing on-going support, counsel and employee development opportunities.
• Oversee the continued awareness and growth of the LFA’s peer-reviewed, open access journal, Lupus Science & Medicine. Work to position the journal as the premier source for lupus information through ongoing communication and collaboration with the journal’s publisher (BMJ), editors and editorial board.
• Develop department and program specific budgets and forecasts; oversee adherence to budgets, policies and internal and external regulations.
• Minimum of ten (10) years of proven experience working in a research related organization, preferably managing a grant portfolio focused on scientific and medical advancements.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across internal and external teams.
• Excellent communication skills, with a proven record of public speaking and writing to multiple stakeholders, including people suffering from serious illnesses, and government, academic and industry partners.
• A proven track record of sound judgment and an analytical approach to decision-making.
• Familiarity with autoimmune diseases preferred.
• Ability to travel (domestically and internationally) as required or requested for business purposes.
• Computer skills required: Grants/Contract Management Systems; Project Management Software; Microsoft Office Suite
• Master’s degree in public health or other health related disciple. Graduate (PhD) degree in Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, public health, clinical sciences or a related medical or health profession discipline is preferred.
Qualified and interested candidates should email a cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to HR@lupus.org with “VP of Research” in the subject line. Those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. (LFA) is the nation’s leading voluntary organization exclusively serving the entire lupus community including persons with lupus, their families, physicians, researchers, and the public. We have…