Room to Read is seeking a Manager on the People Operations Team with the drive, knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies to source, recruit, evaluate and recommend talent both domestically and internationally; develop recruitment strategies in compliance with government and donor regulations and best practices, and manage every step of the talent acquisition and onboarding processes.
The Manager will be responsible for managing the recruitment and onboarding processes for employees and contingent workers for global office positions in the US and internationally. This includes full-cycle recruiting for roles ranging from entry-level to senior leadership, as well as developing and maintaining relationships with recruitment firms and staffing agencies around the world. Room to Read global office departments provide the leadership, programmatic, operational, and fundraising support to the organization, with staff located in San Francisco, New York, and several other US cities, Hong Kong, London, Zurich, Sydney, Tokyo, Nairobi, and other locations in Asia and Africa.
The Manager will also be accountable for ensuring a cohesive worldwide recruiting and onboarding approach and providing guidance to Room to Read’s country offices in Asia and Africa, in coordination with the Country Office Business Partners on the People Operations team. The Manager plays a critical role in ensuring we attract and hire worldwide talent and provide a thoughtful onboarding journey for them. Reporting to the Director, People Operations, this position is based in one of our US office locations (San Francisco, New York City), or remotely from CA, CO, FL, MD, MA, NY or VA. This role will have supervisor responsibilities for one direct report.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Overall accountability for managing recruitment policy, process, and practices, and driving the recruitment pipeline. Undertake full-cycle recruitments and build relationships with recruiting firms and staffing agencies to support recruiting at Room to Read.
- For full-cycle recruitment, open requisitions in Workday, work with hiring managers to define recruiting strategy plans, create and maintain recruitment documents, write job descriptions, review resumes, conduct phone screens, conduct reference checks, and facilitate the offer process.
- Actively source candidates through LinkedIn or other platforms; work with and provide guidance to hiring managers on leveraging their networks and social media platforms to generate strong applicant pools.
- Serve as a point of contact for candidates throughout the interview process ensuring their experience is consistent with Room to Read’s reputation for high quality, efficiently managed work.
- Maintain records for all applicants in Workday and on SharePoint.
- Act as a dotted-line supervisor to the People Operations Analyst whose role it is to schedule interviews and post and maintain our job postings on our website and other external job boards.
- Maintain recruitment-related department records and reports, including candidate files as they relate to recruiting.
- Oversee Room to Read’s onboarding process to ensure that all new employees experience a consistent and efficient process that enables them to start contributing to Room to Read’s programs quickly while allowing supervisors to identify areas for continued support and professional development.
- Partner with the People Operations Analyst to ensure that successful candidates are onboarded effectively. Share onboarding resources with supervisors and answer questions as they arise.
Strategy and General Support
- In partnership with People Operations leadership, develop and recommend departmental strategies, goals, objectives and systems for recruitment and onboarding.
- Provide guidance on job descriptions and workforce planning efforts across global offices departments.
- Conduct informational interviews with prospective employees referred through the organization’s network.
- Provide interview training to staff new to the Room to Read interview process and provide global support to our People Operations Managers worldwide.
- Work closely with the People Operations Associate Manager to research, test and implement Workday recruiting and onboarding enhancements.
- Partner with People Operations Associate Manager in developing and maintaining recruiting-related departmental metrics.
- Analyze results and recommend changes to recruiting and onboarding strategy in line with Room to Read’s roadmap on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI).
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of regulations, laws, industry trends, practices, and developments regarding Human Resources, specifically recruiting and onboarding.
- Assist with various research and/or special projects and other ad-hoc duties, as needed.
- 7-10 years of work experience, specifically in recruiting or talent-related roles
- Prior experience with the full cycle recruiting process and onboarding best practices, and experience recommending and implementing talent acquisition strategies
- Experience developing research strategies and sourcing passive candidates
- Experience leveraging websites and social media to promote a company’s brand as an employer and attract high caliber talent
- Experience with applicant tracking systems, Workday preferred
- Ability to maintain the highly confidential nature of human resources work
- Excellent customer service skills, including strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Detail-oriented and organized while being a strategic thinker
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization
- Adept at using Outlook, Excel & Word
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience
- Experience recruiting project-based employees, particularly for bi-lateral and multi-lateral projects preferred
- Familiarity with US government, specifically USAID, recruiting and onboarding requirements preferred
- Previous experience recruiting internationally preferred
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high-quality work and low overhead
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office - Main - San Francisco
Global Office - New York
Global Office - Remote - United States
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled