475 Riverside Drive
POSITION: Assistant Teacher – Early LIFE Center
REPORTS TO: Director of Early LIFE Center
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
EXEMPT/NONEXEMPT: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The Assistant Teacher implements the instructional program at LSSNY’s pre-school program, supporting each student in activities planned by the classroom's Head Teacher. The Assistant Teacher supervises and manages students throughout the day, in the classroom, during transitions around the pre-school, on the playground, on trips, at meals and snacks, and during arrival and dismissal times.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assist the Head Teacher in preparing, implementing and recording daily lessons.
· Supervise children throughout the school day - during lessons and activities, in the classroom, during meals and snacks, on the playground, during transitions, on trips, and during arrival and dismissal times.
· Ensure that students are always accompanied by an adult and are directly supervised as they move about the school and on trips.
· Ensure that the classroom is clean and orderly at the end of the day.
· Observe students for signs of emotional difficulties, abuse, or neglect and report these to the Head Teacher, Family Service staff or Early LIFE Center Director.
· Support the Head Teacher in addressing the children’s needs.
· Share talents and skills to enhance the student's school program.
· Participate in professional development; complete 12 In-Service Trainings per year.
· Move around the classroom to engage with students.
· Be alert to individual student learning styles.
· Assist and supervise children during arrival and dismissal processes.
· Provide classroom coverage as directed by the Director.
· Assist with student work collection and correction, progress reports, parent contact, and incident reports.
· Actively participate in student progress meetings
· Develop supporting relationships with students, parents and guardians.
· Assist with food service, as assigned by the Center Director.
· Assist with other job-related tasks, as assigned by the Center Director.
· Represent Lutheran Social Service of New York’s mission, values, ethics, and uphold agency Code of Conduct at all times.
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS:
+ BA or HS Diploma/Associate’s Degree with Early Childhood experience
+ Child Development Associate Credential within one year of hire
+ Minimum of 1 year experience working with children in a school or children’s center
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
+ Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with classroom teacher
+ Demonstrated ability to appropriately supervise students in a classroom setting, while transitioning around the center complex, on the playground and on trips
+ Demonstrated ability to implement the instructional program
+ Willingness to participate in professional development
+ Demonstrated ability to be an active and involved partner in the classroom process
+ Demonstrated ability to work with students with behavior challenges
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send all cover letters and resumes to the hiring supervisor, Sheila Hall, with "Assistant Teacher" in the subject line.
Director of Early LIFE Center
----LSSNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer----