Staff Attorney(s) - Immigration, Domestic Violence, Housing, Trafficking, Disability Rights
- Job posted by Asian Pacific Islander Legal Outreach
1121 Mission Street
310 8th St.
San Francisco & Oakland
With this announcement APILO is seeking to fill 3+ attorney positions for the immigration/naturalization, violence against women, housing/tenants' rights, senior & disability rights, and anti human trafficking projects. See www.apilegaloutreach.org for more details.
API Legal Outreach is the largest social justice legal organization serving the Asian, Pacific Islander, and Latino communities of the Greater Bay Area and Central Valley. Founded in 1975, our mission is to provide culturally competent and linguistically appropriate legal representation, social services, and advocacy for the most marginalized segments of the community including low-income women, seniors, recent immigrants, and youth. With offices in Oakland, San Francisco, and Stockton our work is focused in the areas of domestic violence/family law, immigration and immigrant rights, senior law and elder abuse prevention, the rights of those with disabilities, anti-human trafficking, youth violence prevention, affordable housing preservation and tenants' rights, and other social justice issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide legal counseling and full scope representation to low-income clients in the Bay Area and Central Valley.
2. Conduct community education and outreach.
3. Staff clinics at sites accessible to consumers.
4. Provide technical assistance and training to community and public agencies.
5. Represent the organization at community, legal, funding, and other meetings and functions.
6. Assist with administrative and fundraising work of the organization.
1. Minimum of two years of litigation and/or work experience in low-income communities serving seniors, recent immigrants, survivors of violence against women, tenants, and/or people with disabilities.
2. Demonstrated commitment to social justice and serving underserved communities.
3. Strong advocacy and courtroom skills representing LEP clients.
4. Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar.
5. Bilingual and bicultural (especially Spanish, Cantonese, Tagalog, or Southeast Asian language) skills relevant to underserved communities.
6. Ability to work independently; self-starter; detail oriented.
7. Ability to work well in a team-oriented, multi-cultural work environment.
1. Experience with legal software such as Abacus Law, Essential Forms.
2. California’s driver’s license and own vehicle.
3. Strong preference will be given to those who have volunteered with APILO.
Hours:Minimum of 40 hours per week including some weekend and evening hours.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, based on salary scale; includes health insurance, paid vacation, holiday, sick leave. Exempt Position.
If interested, send cover letter and resume with three (3) professional references to: Personnel Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Position is open until filled.
Minimum Education Required