Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) represents approximately 30,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. We also provide legal representation for our clients on a variety of issues, including housing, education, employment and wide-reaching immigration legal services. We are one of the largest public defense providers in New York and the United States; representing people who have diverse, complex, and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and fast-paced setting.
BDS’ Integrated Defense Practice represents clients who have concurrent criminal and child protective proceedings in Criminal Court, Supreme Court and Family Court. The team of attorneys, social workers, and paralegals work closely together to provide comprehensive representation to parents by coordinating defenses in their criminal and child protective proceedings to ensure the best outcomes for clients and their families. Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) seeks a paralegal to join the Integrated Defense Practice (“IDP”).
Under the direct supervision of Attorney-in-Charge, Integrated Practice, Paralegals work closely with attorneys and social workers who handle a high volume, litigation-oriented practice. Paralegals support client’s legal cases from referrals to final dispositions and are responsible for client correspondence, court preparation, and other vital assignments.
• Draft motions, petitions and other legal documents
• Interview clients referred to the practice and provide early defense assistance
• Obtain court orders, petitions, and other paperwork from the Unified Court Management System
• Prepare client letters.
• Summarize transcripts, case records, and hospital and mental health records.
• Provide research and support for systemic policy projects
• Locate services for clients and follow up with service providers to obtain court letters.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree or 3+ years work experience as a paralegal or legal assistant required
• Ability to take responsibility for more than one assignment at once, ensuring that all are completed fully and timely.
• Ability to re-prioritize work assignments appropriately as client and case needs change, including handling short-notice requests.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to work independently and in a team setting.
• Efficient, organized work style.
• Bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin is preferred.
• Passion for Brooklyn Defender Services’ mission with a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications should be emailed to email@example.com
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or another reason, you may contact the Director of Human Resources, Christina Wallace, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) represents approximately 30,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. We also provide legal representation for…