565 Congress Street
Beacon is hiring
Beacon is a news website and podcast created by the Maine People’s Alliance.
We are hiring for full time and part-time staff reporting positions. We are also looking to expand our roster of regular and occasional paid contributors and freelance writers.
Responsibilities will primarily include:
- Writing daily articles about news, politics and policy
- Participating in daily editorial meetings and weekly staff meetings
- Potential editing responsibilities
- Generating original story ideas and hooks
- Conducting research
- Assisting with social media strategy and promotion
A qualified applicant should possess:
- Strong writing and editing ability
- Experience writing about politics or policy for public consumption
- Non-profit, educational or campaign experience in advancing social, environmental, economic or racial justice
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet writing deadlines
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and occasional weekends
- Basic experience with WordPress and/or HTML
- Applicants with video and audio editing and production experience are also encouraged to apply
Beacon seeks to highlight the experiences of everyday Mainers, share information about the political and policy processes that affect Maine people and promote a progressive worldview. The website has grown over the past two years to become the most-shared political news website in Maine and the most-shared state-focused, progressive news website in the country.
MPA is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for a full/part-time reporting position, or to be a regular paid contributor, please send a one-page letter of interest, resume, writing sample and three references via e-mail to Beacon editor Lauren McCauley at email@example.com.