Details: Salary will be commensurate with experience and within the parameters of BDS’s compensation scale.
177 Livingston Street
Brooklyn Defender Services is seeking applications from attorneys for the position of Senior Legal Specialist for our Homicide/Major Felony unit.
This request coincides with the formation of a new unit in our office that will handle homicide and major felony cases. This specialized unit will be responsible for representing clients charged with homicides as well as the most serious and complex felony cases where clients are facing significant periods of incarceration.
The Senior Legal Specialist will be responsible for coordinating, analyzing and litigating legal issues pertaining to the defense of serious and complex cases. Some of the duties will include:
- Reviewing each case with the attorney to identify legal issues and the best strategy to litigate and preserve issues for appeal.
- Helping with the research and preparation of motions and memorandum of law.
- Keeping up to date on current law and disseminating that information to the attorneys.
- Assisting the lead trial attorney on legal issues during trial, including preserving the record, making appropriate objections, making mistrial applications, requesting innovative jury instructions, etc.
- Being present at hearings and trials to consult on legal issues.
- Coordinating with appellate counsel on the appeal of the case, identifying issues and making sure appellate counsel has a complete record.
- Attending and conducting trainings and CLEs on trending issues of law.
Those who choose to apply should have the following qualifications:
- 5 years criminal defense appellate experience preferably in the Appellate Division, Second Department of the State of New York
- Superior legal research and writing ability
- Ability to work in a team setting and the desire to work closely with trial-level attorneys and consult on a daily basis.
- The desire to challenge established precedent when the opportunity arises and create innovative legal arguments.
- The ability to give presentations and CLEs on relevant areas of law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Those attorneys who wish to apply for a position in this unit should submit the following:
- A statement of interest, delineating the reason that they wish to be a part of the Unit.
- Any specific qualifications or skills that they believe make them an appropriate candidate for the position.
- Number of Appeals filed and argued, including the jurisdictions and listing any significant decisions rendered.
- Number of cases submitted and argued before the Court of Appeals and any significant decisions rendered.
- Any appeals involving the admission, exclusion or scope of expert testimony.
- Submit a brief that best demonstrates your understanding of the relevant area of law and your ability to formulate creative arguments.
Please submit this application to Laura Saft at Jobs2018@bds.org