750 North Lake Shore Drive
The American Bar Foundation (“ABF”) seeks a full-time Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist. The American Bar Foundation is a nonprofit, independent research institute committed to empirical research on law, legal institutions, and legal processes.
The Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist (“The Specialist”), a key member of the Finance Team, will have primary responsibility for processing payables, cash deposits and limited receivables.
The Specialist will have primary responsibility for all aspects of accounts payable, in compliance with the organization’s financial policies and procedures, including but not limited to:
- Manage weekly payables processing within set timeframe, which may vary from week to week.
- Review of all invoices and expense reports to ensure proper approval, accuracy, documentation and account coding.
- Follow up with person submitting the request to correct any discrepancies related to the above.
- Enter all payables into the Financial Edge accounting system with a high degree of accuracy and in a timely manner, including proper vendor coding/setup.
- Process checks, attaching checks to documentation and securing proper signatures on checks.
- Prepare check run report for Director of Finance to upload to online bank account for check release.
- Distribute/remit checks to payee in a timely fashion.
- Maintain a paper file system for vendors in compliance with the established document retention policy.
- Set up new vendors in the accounting system after securing proper documentation (i.e. 1099, W-9 forms).
- Answer inquiries from vendors, suppliers, employees and management, research discrepancies and initiate action based on findings.
- For the corporate credit card account, distribute monthly statements to individual card holders and follow-up with these individuals to ensure expense reports with proper support are submitted within deadlines to ensure timely payment of the statement balance.
- Manage the calendar year-end 1099 reporting process.
The Specialist will also be responsible for the following, in compliance with the organization’s financial policies and procedures:
- On a limited basis, create invoices for receivables as requested.
- Deposit checks using a remote imaging process, with proper support, documentation and approval.
- Store all deposit documentation per the established document retention policy.
- Monitor bank activity and lock box receipts and generate cash reports to reconcile with Development and the Accounting Manager as part of the month-end close process.
- Coordinate wire transfers.
- Prepare month-end close folders with relevant banking, contribution, and other supporting documentation for use in the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Operate within deadlines for month-end and year-end close.
- Ensure established financial controls and policies/procedures are adhered to in the performance of specific procedures, and evidence is retained.
- Participate in process improvement projects and productivity enhancements, which include but are not limited to, expense reporting and reimbursement business processes.
- Participate in year-end audit as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Specialist must possess attention to detail, proven experience in accounting or accounts payable, and strong written and oral communications skills. Experience with Financial Edge/Blackbaud accounting software a significant plus. Should also be familiar with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. Should also be able to speak with vendors, management, and co-workers in a friendly and professional manner.
- 3 to 5 years of accounts payable experience
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- A self-starter, with a strong sense of urgency
- Strong team skills
- Strong communication skills (friendly but firm), with the ability to ensure proper documentation is received prior to payment processing
- Professional attitude, high degree of reliability
- Excellent customer service orientation
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining quality and accuracy
- Ability to participate in and contribute to process improvement projects and departmental initiatives
- Experience with accounting software, with excellent keyboard skills
- Able to complete projects in a timely manner as assigned by department management and other members of management
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The ABF is firmly committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All decisions regarding the terms, privileges, and/or conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, classification, grading, recruitment, discharge, discipline, compensation, selection for training or apprenticeship, promotion, renewal of employment, tenure or terms, and benefits, will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from the military, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, housing status, parental status, source of income, certain arrest or criminal history records, genetic information, protected activity (such as opposition to or reporting of prohibited discrimination or harassment), or any other status or classification protected by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws. The ABF prohibits discrimination, retaliation, and harassment of individuals on any of the bases listed above and any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and/or local law.
The ABF offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees that includes generous health, retirement, and vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To receive consideration, send your resume and cover letter to:
Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist Search
American Bar Foundation
750 North Lake Shore Drive 4th floor
Chicago, IL 60611
No phone calls, please.