5529 1st Avenue South
JMA is currently seeking an experienced organizer to join a new Alabama based team doing work on a campaign to win good jobs, access to training and community benefits agreements for Black, Latinx and women workers at global manufacturers based in Alabama and Mississippi. The target starting date is December 1 or as soon thereafter as possible.
About Jobs to Move America (JMA)
Jobs to Move America supports quality American manufacturing jobs, and generates career opportunities for historically underrepresented workers in the manufacturing industry, as well as those facing barriers to employment.
● Be part of a two-three person team at a Birmingham, AL office that builds a community, worker, faith-based coalition to support access for Black, Latinx and Women workers to good manufacturing jobs with training in Alabama.
● Attend meetings and other relevant events to build/ develop relationships with partners and to develop visibility campaign around issues of employment equity and community benefits.
● Move campaign messages effectively across social media.
● Maintain a user-friendly database consisting of a growing list of relevant contacts and campaign supporters/adversaries to advance monthly goals for each group.
● Work with coalition partners and manufacturing workers to advance the JMA mission including developing reports, fact sheets, white papers and other campaign materials.
● Demonstrated success reaching and maintaining strong support over a period of time while working on worker/community organizing and/or electoral campaigns
● Experience developing and implementing a comprehensive campaign plan.
● Demonstrated success using social media platforms in a campaign setting
● Demonstrated commitment to advancing the interests of people of color, women, veteran, and formerly incarcerated people at America's workplaces
● Ability to communicate effectively with a wide array of constituencies including elected officials, agency staff, and members of the public.
● Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline driven environment.
● Has a car and a valid driver’s license
EXTRA CONSIDERATION will be given for candidates who:
● Identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons and/or have had experience working with more than one of those groups.
● Have experience working in the labor movement.
● Have experience working as a community organizer.
● Are fluent speaking a language other than English.
● Have experience with a workforce-reentry and/or pre-apprenticeship program.
● Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Terms of Employment
The salary range for the position is $48,000-$54,000/ year and is dependent upon experience. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits (at no premium cost to the employee) retirement, and generous time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This position is available starting December 1, 2018. Please email your cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to email@example.com with “Organizer” in the subject line. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response. No phone calls, please.