30 Grant Avenue
Scope: The Wig Supervisor is responsible for the overall execution and implementation of the running and maintenance of the wigs, hair and makeup on all A.C.T mainstage productions. They shall maintain the integrity of the wig and hair design throughout each production as established by the Wig Master for these productions. The Wig Supervisor hires, oversees & supervises overhire wig run crew when additional positions are required. Otherwise, they shall be responsible for carrying out all duties associated with running the show. They assist actors with the application and removal of all wigs, facial hair and makeup. They are responsible for creating, documenting, and updating run of show paperwork as well as taking photographs of the actors in their character looks for the show bible. They shall work closely with Stage Management, and Wardrobe to create run tracks for overhire wig & makeup crew. They shall participate in the inventorying, upkeep and maintenance of the basement wig room supplies as well as the overall A.C.T wig stock.
- Overall execution and implementation of the running and maintenance of the wigs, hair and makeup on all A.C.T mainstage productions from load in until the closing, pack out and load out of each production.
- Completes pre-show and post show duties including: application and removal of wigs and facial hair, styling actors hair and specialty makeup application.
- In close collaboration with the Wig Master and Stage Management, create and implement wig running crew paperwork to assure that all actor hair and makeup needs are met for each production.
- Provide updated or amended wig running crew paperwork to the Wig Master by opening night of each production.
- Assist in the creation of a Show Bible by providing all paperwork documents to the Wig Master as well as taking archival photos of each characters looks (and as applicable changes to the look).
- Attend Designer Runs and other pertinent pre-dress rehearsal meetings as assigned by Wig Master.
- Implement hair and make-up design applications as established by the Wig Master.
- Work with Wig Master and Stage Management to schedule wig calls for performers during the tech, tech/ preview and performance period.
- Work with the Sound Department to incorporate any microphone placement into the Wig design.
- Maintain all wigs and facial hair elements as assigned, including cleaning and restyling as needed.
- Assist in training actors during each production on the make-up design for the show.
- Collect all wigs, hair pieces, facial hair and make-up after the closing of each main stage show.
- Provide support for photo shoots, marketing and press events as assigned by Wig Master.
- Hire and oversee additional run crew swings and crew members as necessary.
- Assist in training wig run crew in theater and backstage etiquette and maintain this etiquette among the crew during the run.
- Overall supervision of wig run crew; Duties including but not limited to, assigning run tracks to crew, working with the Wigs Master to set all crew call times, training the crew on the correct wig application, make-up technique, hair styling, and sanitation pertinent to the show, ensure the run crew maintains the integrity of the design as established by the Wigs Master, manage & collect overhire crew paperwork checking that they are appropriately filled out.
- For Strand productions, this position is expected to work collaboratively and hold cross departmental responsibilities with the wardrobe crew.
- Manage personnel safety and uphold safety protocols within the department. Participate in all required training
- Participates in the inventorying, upkeep and cleanliness of the Geary wig room, stock and common wig/ wardrobe areas to maintain a well-stocked, clean and organized wig room.
- Participates in the maintenance of A.C.T wig stock as assigned by Wigs Master.
- Communicate regularly with Wig Master and Costume Shop Head on any pertinent production related matters.
- Notifies Wig Master immediately of any damage to wigs or show-related incidents and issues.
- Attends Wig Department or Costume Shop Department and All Company meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to; cleaning and resetting the wigs and makeup items, ventilating or fronting hair items.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Education and/or significant high level, hands on professional experience (minimum one year) with an emphasis on wig & make-up and theater.
- Proficient styling and maintaining all types of wigs and facial hair.
- Familiarity with hygiene and sanitation techniques related to make-up, wigs, and hair.
- Familiarity with period and historical hairstyles and costumes.
- Excellent work ethic including but not limited to: time management, work flow management, self motivation, diplomacy, and interpersonal and collaborative communication skills
- Excellent crew management skills including but not limited to: time management, work flow management, and interpersonal and collaborative communications skills.
- Basic computer competency with computer programs such as Microsoft word, excel, emails.
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time. Job requires continuous and repetitive use of hands and wrists, for fine gripping and forceful gripping. Ability to reach above head, lift up to 15 pounds and repeatedly ascend and descend stairs is essential.
- Ability to do a variety of men’s haircuts, as needed and cosmetology license a plus
- Wig Ventilating and Wig making skills highly desirable.
- Experience with prosthetic application and painting a plus
- Organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Travel between any/all A.C.T. locations and other assigned local travel
- Work in a detail oriented manner, be resourceful and flexible, and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Effectively problem solve and troubleshoot
- Face demanding situations with tenacity, diplomacy, and sensitivity under a lot of pressure
- Deal with high profile personalities
- Work collaboratively across all production departments to ensure a good working environment and the success of the show.
- Work independently and as part of team
- Work irregular hours, evening hours, long hours and weekend as required
This is a seasonal position, generally September-June each year.
Full benefit package available: health, dental, vision, pension plan, commuter benefits, etc
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Cover letter including salary requirements, resume and references to Wig Supervisor Search.
What we look for in our staff: the ability to imagine, the energy to create and explore new ideas and the freedom of spirit to celebrate our diverse community. To learn more about A.C.T., visit our website at www.act-sf.org. No calls, please. EOE