JOB TITLE: Prospect Researcher
DEPARTMENT: Office of Advancement Services
THE OPPORTUNITY: As the leading university in the Middle East, the American University of Beirut is a teaching-centered research university based on the American liberal arts model of higher education. Currently the University is in the midst of its most ambitious campaign to date, BOLDLY AUB: The Campaign to Lead, Innovate, and Serve. This $650 million campaign is a donor centric campaign to ensure the University can continue to inspire current and future generations of smart and able students. The AUB New York office houses the university’s North American executive, board of trustees, communications, development, and alumni relations offices and is dedicated towards promoting the AUB mission throughout North America.
1. Basic Functions:
Support the prospect research function of the University in support of AUB’s advancement activities. Undertake fundraising research including prospect identification, tracking, prospect pipeline and all related functions. Pro-actively conduct research and analyses, and prepare reports on prospective donors, current donors, individuals, foundations, businesses and other potential sources of philanthropic support and sponsorship.
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the implementation of a plan to build the database of donors to support an ambitious fundraising campaign.
- Identify and provide detailed information and analyses on current, past and potential donors, assessing their interest, their capacity and their inclination to philanthropically support the University’s fundraising priorities.
- Identify and provide detailed information and analyses on current, past and potential donors, alumni, friends, parents, and “affluencers” of AUB. This includes biographical, philanthropic, professional and financial information, current and past contact with the University, affiliations and memberships, and any other information that may provide a full profile of the individual or organization.
- Prepare written briefings and detailed profiles to support the active cultivation of individuals and institutions and for other purposes of the University.
- Provide support to front-line fundraisers by reading and analyzing contact reports data to enhance information in the database about AUB constituents and update prospect coding data as necessary.
- Pro-actively monitor news, publications, online communication and other sources of information for updates about prospects, donors, prominent alumni and influential friends of the University.
- Pro-actively conduct research using myriad resources including files of the Office of Advancement, published materials, online sources, market research, financial data, census data, directories, other sources available in the public and private sectors, and other University resources. Continuously identify new sources of information and research methodology.
- Implement best practices in prospect identification and research, prospect tracking and prospect/portfolio management, working closely with the Associate Vice President of Development and the Director of Prospect Research.
9. Produce high quality and accurate written and verbal briefings, profiles and reports.
- Maintain resources and subscriptions necessary for the work required.
- Ensure continuous professional development through international professional organizational memberships, conferences, and electronic mailing lists focusing on prospect research and fundraising issues.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Associate Vice President of Development.
3. Work Contacts:
Regular contact with the Associate Vice President of Development North America, AVPs, Associate Vice President for Advancement Services, Director of Advancement Services, Director of Prospect Research, colleagues in the Office of Advancement, and Library officers.
4. Supervisory Responsibility:
5. Independence of Operation:
Reports to the Associate Vice President of Development with dotted line relationship with the Director of Prospect Research.
6. Physical Effort:
Minimal physical effort.
7. Work Conditions:
Clean and pleasant office environment.
8. Minimum Requirements:
· Familiarity with the philanthropic culture of New York City and North America.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Minimum of two years’ experience in a higher education institution, NGO or business.
· A proven track record of measurable accomplishment against demanding targets.
· Experience in a fast-moving office environment.
· Significant experience in research using a wide variety of source material.
· Excellent spoken and written English.
· Strong spoken and written Arabic (Preferred).
· Strong report-writing and editing skills.
· Knowledge or interest of the Middle East (Preferred).
· Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and database software.
The American University of Beirut is a 150 + year old institution of higher learning chartered in New York State and offering an American liberal arts education in the Middle East. It serves 8,000 students and has six faculties. AUB plays an outsized role in the region, contributing research, expertise, democratic thinking, and innovative solutions in an area of the world dealing with constant conflict and environmental threats. The New York City office supports the university and is a vital link to friends, alumni, and donors in North America.
Please Submit a Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com. Salary commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org