The mission of the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS) is to ensure that all New Yorkers, including those who are medically underserved, have continuous access to high quality community-based health care services including a primary care home. To do this, CHCANYS serves as the voice of community health centers as leading providers of primary health care in New York State. CHCANYS is a dynamic, team-oriented, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of and provides technical assistance to federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) throughout New York State. FQHCs provide comprehensive community-based primary and preventive care services to anyone who seeks care, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay.
CHCANYS is New York State’s Primary Care Association, comprised of all of the FQHCs in New York State. New York’s 750 FQHCs sites provide primary care services to 2.2 million New Yorkers annually and are central to both federal and state health care reform strategies. CHCANYS is nationally recognized for its programs in health policy, quality improvement, health information technology, health system planning, and training and technical assistance.
CHCANYS’ policy team works to ensure investments in FQHCs align with the State’s fiscal and health systems transformation goals. CHCANYS is a policy leader for state, federal and regional health reform efforts and supports the sustainability of health centers in New York State.
CHCANYS is seeking a Policy Analyst to assist the Policy Director and Policy Team. The position will support the development of high quality policy analysis, recommendations and strategy to be used by CHCANYS and shared with partner advocacy organizations, policy makers and other stakeholders with a goal of effecting positive policy change on behalf of New York State’s community health centers.
The position will be based out of CHCANYS’ Albany office and reports to CHCANYS’ Policy Director.
The successful candidate for this position will have experience in researching and writing policy documents and an understanding of the health care policy environment in New York State. The individual must be self-motivated, able to manage multiple projects and able to work independently. He or she must possess excellent writing skills, interpersonal skills, have a professional demeanor, and be comfortable acting as a public representative of the organization. The individual in this role will work with a diverse group of people and must be able to collaborate effectively.
- Work with the Senior Policy Director and Policy Team to support the development and implementation of the organization’s policy agenda and coordinate its implementation including development of action alerts, coordination of legislative and coalition meetings and materials.
- Lead in the research and writing of CHCANYS’ policy-related publications, including public testimony, the annual legislative agenda, and comments on proposed regulatory changes.
- Assist in the development and implementation of CHCANYS’ overall advocacy agenda on all levels of government (local, state and federal) in accordance with the organizational strategic plan and policy team goals.
- Analyze, monitor and report on proposed and enacted legislation and regulations, particularly on the state and federal levels.
- Attend relevant government and stakeholder meetings as needed.
- Develop policy materials to prepare participants for legislative visits.
- Identify relevant coalitions and collaborations for CHCANYS to lead or participate in.
- Assist in maintaining updated information on CHCANYS’ policy web page.
- Conduct research including literature and data reviews, administering surveys and analyzing budgets in support of CHCANYS’ public policy agendas.
- Plan and participate in advocacy activities including legislative visits, testifying at hearings and drafting other related correspondence.
- Support strategies to enhance communication between CHCANYS and its member health center on public policy matters.
- Master’s Degree in health policy or relevant field preferred. Will consider Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with very strong professional experience.
- Five years of experience in health policy in New York State preferred. Will consider other policy roles in nonprofit organizations or government agencies.
- Exceptional writing, verbal communication and presentation skill sets
- Ability to produce high quality written material and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, while being a strong team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside CHCANYS.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated understanding and value of cultural competency.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community-based health care is a plus.
- Experience with FQHCs and NYS public health insurance products strongly preferred.
- High degree of independence, flexibility, initiative and commitment.
- Ability to work with customer/client groups and/or experience in membership organizations.
- Ability to multi-task and manage a heavy workload.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Travel (statewide and nationally) as required.
CHCANYS offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. CHCANYS is an equal opportunity employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.