Details: to commensurate with experience
189 Bernardo Avenue
Position Title: Front End Web Developer
FLSA Status: Full Time – Exempt
Location: Mountain View
· Learn the existing code base of the RMS Node, with particular emphasis on OPUS and its related tools.
· Develop, maintain, and update server-side Python applications using Linux/Apache/Django.
· Develop, maintain, and update automated and manual test suites.
· Proactively find and fix bugs.
· Develop other online and offline tools as necessary.
· Help plan the future direction of OPUS, including researching and learning new technologies.
· Maintain and improve an existing web site using Jekyll, HTML, and CSS, and implement other web-related projects from time to time as needed.
· B.S./B.A. degree in a relevant field.
· Strong knowledge of Web standards and usability practices.
· Working knowledge of Python and willingness to learn more.
· Ability to learn existing code bases and new technologies quickly.
· Meticulous attention to detail and commitment to quality, including enthusiasm about product testing (automated and manual system and UI tests) and code reviews.
· Desire and ability to find and fix bugs proactively.
· Ability and desire to think about the “big picture” and to provide improvement recommendations and aid in the development of long-term technology plans.
· Willingness to learn new skills and subjects, such as new programming languages, frameworks, development environments, and astronomy-related concepts.
· Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment and without direct supervision for long periods.
· Excellent debugging and critical thinking skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Desired: Experience building and maintaining server-side web applications using Python, Django, and MySQL.
· Desired: Experience with system administration of a Linux environment.
· Desired: Graphic and web design experience.
1. Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
2. Sort, file paperwork, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh up
to 25 lbs.
3. Stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
For consideration, please visit www.SETI.org and submit a copy of your resume and a cover letter.
SETI Institute is an Affirmative Action Employer.
Salary/Benefits: The SETI Institute provides competitive salary, excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance, a flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, vacation, and sick leave. The Institute sponsors a retirement plan option upon fulfillment of eligibility.
Minimum Education Required