Details: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
District of Columbia
American Oversight is a non-partisan, non-profit ethics watchdog that uses public records requests backed by aggressive litigation and communications to promote transparency and to hold public officials accountable. Since our launch in 2017, our 700+ FOIA requests and 30+ lawsuits have exposed multiple cases of misconduct and mendacity in the Trump administration, including that President Trump lied about being wiretapped, that Jeff Sessions lied on his security clearance form, and that Scott Pruitt has largely turned the EPA over to industry interests. We have much more in store for 2018 and the future.
The director of research, analysis, and investigations is a new position for American Oversight. As a member of the senior leadership staff, the director will be tasked with building and leading our research team, identifying and developing investigative targets, and helping to analyze the records we uncover to drive accountability in the Trump administration and beyond.
The position reports to the Executive Director and is a unique opportunity to employ research, analysis, investigative, and management skills to lead efforts to uncover unethical and abusive government conduct.
As director, your responsibilities will include:
- Working with American Oversight’s senior leadership to set the organization’s investigative priorities;
- Managing a team to: (a) identify issues and individuals to investigate with transparency tools; (b) digest incoming records for follow-up inquiries and communications opportunities; (c) work with the legal team to assess public officials’ violations of ethical standards and other laws and promote accountability and transparency; (d) draft public records requests in consultation with the legal team; and (e) collaborate with the communications team to convey the results of our work to the public.
- Developing and executing short- and long-term research plans to support organizational goals and strategies;
- Participating in rapid response research efforts to complement legal and communications efforts;
- Represent the organization in meetings with outside groups and organizations;
- Provide leadership, feedback, guidance, and day-to-day supervision of staff and interns.
This position is open to individuals with diverse backgrounds, including investigative journalism, opposition research, corporate or government investigations, and strategic communications. The ideal candidate will have proven research, writing, and management experience, as well as familiarity with the Freedom of Information Act and commonly used research databases. Fluency in federal government operations is also important.
We are seeking individuals with the following qualifications:
- At least seven years’ previous research or investigatory experience;
- Experience managing a team and overseeing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Proficiency with the Freedom of Information Act and public records requests;
- Familiarity with congressional and executive branch disclosure filings, FEC data, Lexis-Nexis, and commonly used-research databases;
- Understanding of the current political media landscape in Washington, DC and nationally;
- Strong writing and proofreading skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- An interest in government ethics and accountability;
- Self-motivated with an ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information;
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity;
- Outstanding communications skills.
American Oversight is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, résumé, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.