Details: Salary is commensurate with experience and academic qualifications.
SIT Study Abroad is recruiting for an Academic Director for its study abroad program located in Accra, Ghana. The program's title is Ghana: Africa in the 21st Century.
The SIT Study Abroad Academic Director (AD) manages one of several SIT’s undergraduate study abroad programs. Program themes range from development and social change to arts, environmental studies, post-conflict transformation, health, and human rights. All SIT Study Abroad programs emphasize field study while examining critical global issues, in keeping with the broader institution’s peace and social justice mission. SIT’s educational model focuses on cultural immersion as its primary pedagogy and uses theories of experiential education to inform its curricula and teaching. The academic centerpiece of most SIT Study Abroad semester programs is the independent study project. This component weaves theory into local reality and synthesizes program coursework.
For additional information about this program visit https://studyabroad.sit.edu/programs/semester/fall-2018/ghr/
The academic director is generally responsible for:
• General management, implementation, and delivery of the study abroad program; advising in matters regarding academic program delivery and scheduling;
• Organizing and delivering the students' initial cross-cultural orientation and the research methods and ethics class, as well as coordinating and teaching components of the thematic course;
• Organizing educational excursions and field trips, and integrating the learning from these as well as from the homestay into the traditional coursework components of the program;
• Working with SIT’s in-country staff, lecturers, and ISP and internship advisors to ensure high quality field-based thematic content;
• Guiding and advising students in both their cross-cultural learning processes and academic experiences - thus serving as educator/teacher in the broadest sense by assisting students to draw substantive connections from among different aspects of their experiences;
• Conducting the program review and academic evaluation at the end of the program and preparing a rigorous written evaluation for each student's transcript, clarifying both what the student achieved and how it was achieved;
• Facilitating a constructive relationship between SIT students and host country nationals involved with the program;
• Providing student support for medical, personal, and security issues;
• Negotiating cost-effective program services and managing the program budget throughout the program;
• Maintaining regular communication with the SIT Study Abroad office in Brattleboro and submitting detailed, timely reports, as required.
• Conducting academic engagement within their field and other academic outreach activities as requested by the Academic Dean.
Experience The candidate should have experience living in Ghana and should be proficient in English. College teaching and experience with U.S. undergraduates and some acquaintance with life in Ghana are highly desirable. Further, the candidate must be attuned to the educational philosophy and expectations of SIT and possess both commitment to academic excellence and the personal leadership qualities required by the program. Among the latter are knowledge of program theme, cultural sensitivity and adaptability; intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for challenge; tact and diplomacy in working with host nationals and American students; organizational ability; budget management skills; computer literacy; energy; and a sense of humor.
The selected candidate is expected to start the job in early July 2018.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education Applicants with a Master degree in a wide variety of disciplines will be considered, including anthropology, political science, economics, sociology, education, history, and African studies. Priority will be given to Ph.D. holders in a discipline related to the program theme, as well as academic and practical knowledge of the country and region.
Proficiency in English is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our website http:// www.worldlearninginc.org/employment to submit a Curriculum Vitae and cover letter with salary history.
Please note, both a CV and cover letter are required for consideration. CV and Cover letter should be uploaded in one single PDF file.