Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
The Vice President, Human Resources, as a senior leader in the organization, will partner with divisional leaders to help them achieve their strategic goals through the recruitment, retention and management of a global workforce. The Vice President has organization-wide responsibility for ensuring that Vital Strategies supports, promotes and protects a talented, diverse and highly-skilled staff of over 150 employees, 140 consultants and 120 consultants embedded in government ministries working in over 60 countries around the world.
Managing a small team of HR professionals, the Vice President, Human Resources is responsible for the strategic implementation of global recruitment and hiring, international compensation and benefits, talent management, organizational design and development, international employee and consultant relations, and plays a key role in placing staff in global locations and in establishing a formal Vital Strategies presence around the world. The Vice President, Human Resources is also involved in helping to create and maintain an inclusive and diverse work place and ensuring compliance with HR standards. The Vice President, Human Resources works closely with operations, finance and program leaders. This position will be based in Vital Strategies’ New York headquarters, with periodic travel overseas.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and as part of the organization's senior management, the Vice President, Human Resources helps implement Vital Strategies’ strategic plan for the continued growth and globalization of this dynamic, fast-paced, and influential global NGO.
- Organizational Development. Provide the strategic vision for Vital Strategies’ leadership and talent. Represent HR with regard to long-term institutional concerns (i.e. staffing, salaries, benefits, diversity, training); serve on senior management team.
- Policies and Legal Compliance: Collaborate with in-house and outside counsel in multiple global jurisdictions on compliance with local statutory requirements, reviewing employment and consultant contracts, and development of new policies; oversee research and drafting of domestic and international employee manuals, related country supplements, and standard operating procedures.
- Talent management: Oversee organization-wide recruitment of a high-caliber, diverse and values-aligned staff. Oversee recruitment and retention of management, professional, and support personnel, US-based, and TCN /HCN/ LN employees; craft and review job descriptions; set decentralized hiring procedures for recruitment, screening, interviewing, reference and background checks, and job offers; oversee international visa petitions and relocations; approve all domestic and global hiring contracts.
- Retention: Establish program to retain high-caliber, well-performing staff through learning programs and career path development.
- Compensation and Benefits. Manage total compensation approach globally: set initial salary determinations and participate in salary reviews for all staff; conduct periodic salary and benefits benchmarking surveys within local labor markets and develop related salary protocols; oversee annual auditing and selection/ negotiation of global benefits package, including multiple domestic and international health, welfare and pensions plans.
- Performance Management: Oversee performance management and introductory, annual, 360 evaluation processes.
- Training: Help develop resourceful approaches to training delivery, including training for managers, periodic skills development efforts for professionals, and effective onboarding for staff; partner with Program directors on substantive in-house training program.
- Organizational culture: Lead institutional efforts to establish a vibrant and unifying organizational culture based on organizational values that drives recruitment, retention and performance evaluation.
- Employee Relations: Serve as key internal point person for employee and consultant relations and personnel mediation; promote work/life balance and retention through creative benefits initiatives; promote employee wellness.
- Manage vendors and contractors as needed to conduct trainings, specific pieces of work, management data.
Qualifications and skill set:
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience, preferably in a large, dynamic, mission-driven environment operating internationally.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in a related field or equivalent professional certification (SPHR and/or GPHR).
- Track record of identifiable and measurable successes in managing a complex organization and implementing operational change.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff to a high level of performance.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills, the ability to work and build relationships with people from many cultures, and a commitment to the mission of Vital Strategies.
- Collaborative team player comfortable leading as well as executing projects as required.
- Experience with an international organization, preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send CV and a cover letter describing your experience, salary expectations, and a brief writing sample (unedited by others) to email@example.com by August 3, 2018 indicating the position applied for in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits and basic life and personal accident insurance.