309 E. 8th Street
Kounkuey Design Initiative is looking for an exceptional individual to fill the role of Accounting Coordinator. This is a new position within a dynamic and growing organization. The ideal candidate will be interested in and knowledgeable of the design and community development professions, and excited to take on the challenge of developing this position and supporting the growth of the organization as a whole.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an accounting expert and thought partner to strengthen team discipline and transparent controls in an innovative, dynamic and high-impact organization in both the US and Kenya Offices. The successful candidate will have five to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, with experience in gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. Candidate will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and funding sources. Reporting to the Global Director of Finance and Administration, the Accounting Coordinator will be responsible for preparing and managing a $3-4 million budget. The Accounting Coordinator must be able to manage and effectively support the organization in all areas of accounting, budgeting, and finance. The Accounting Coordinator will be responsible for the management of the organization’s operating budget and cash flow. As a hands-on position, the Accounting Coordinator will carry out data entry, create budgets, and manage cost allocation for grant reporting. The successful candidate will look forward to working from our Kenya office for a few weeks each year.
· Oversee, manage and process day-to-day accounting transactions, including account reconciliations, general ledger, accounts payable, journal entries and all related functions.
· Accurate, descriptive and timely transaction data entry into QuickBooks: including client/donor tags and project tags to support donor and project reporting. Ensure funds are used according to the funding contracts.
· Ensure timely client/donor invoicing and collections; retrieve supporting materials from project management.
· Execute timely bill payment with proper controls ensuring that project management reviews and approves bills.
· Coordinate with accounting team in Kenya, including monthly Kenya Journal Entries to support global reporting.
· Forecast and manage cash flow to support operational requirements.
· Timely and accurate preparation, review, analysis and clear presentation of monthly global consolidated financial reports to senior management with explanations of variance versus budget and forecast.
· Prepare timely donor/grant financial reports and ensure accurate project/program and grants accounting.
· Document, implement, maintain and monitor internal controls, and safeguard the assets of the organization.
· Prepare all financial schedules for audit purposes, lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors.
· Manage reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements including nonprofit-related FASB pronouncements.
· Prepare all periodic Federal, State and local required filings for the organization.
· Administer and review all financial plans and budgets, monitor progress and changes, and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization's financial status.
· Coordinate with Operations Planning to inform the quarterly reforecast with the latest actuals to date.
· Support the annual global budgeting (3-4 million-dollar Jan-Dec budget) and quarterly reforecast processes with prior period actuals in collaboration with Financial Planning, and the Executive and Associate Directors.
· Implement robust contracts management, financial management, purchase order and reporting systems.
· Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Executive and Associate Directors.
· Ensure KDI is adequately protected with all necessary insurance policies in the US and Kenya.
· Ensure income-earning deposits and investments are appropriately risk-averse.
· Minimum of a B.A., ideally with a CPA or related degree
· Ten years of overall professional experience; six years of broad accounting experience
· Experience holding final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area
· Ability to translate accounting concepts to — and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have accounting backgrounds
· Experience in grants management and reporting
· Advanced proficiency in Excel (vlookups, pivot tables), Power Point, QuickBooks Professional and ADP RUN
· Knowledge of accounting and reporting software, with experience selecting and overseeing software installations
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
· A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
· A successful record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable meaningful data interpretation (versus simple reporting) and sound decision making
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of internal and external audiences
· A proactive approach to problem solving
· Willingness to travel locally and communicate across multiple time zones
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of KDI
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Tony Korkunis, Director of Finance and Administration at email@example.com
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required