Details: Commensurate with experience
BYP100 (Black Youth Project 100) is a national, member-based organization of Black 18 to 35-year-old activists and organizers, dedicated to creating justice and freedom for all Black people. We do this through building a network focused on transformative leadership development, direct action organizing, advocacy, and political education using a Black queer feminist lens.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
BYP100 is seeking a full-time Communications Manager who is a creative thinker, writer, and communicator to join our staff. Our ideal candidate understands and is in love with BYP100’s mission and is ready to join a dynamic team and take our story to the next level. The ideal candidate is a critical thinker, isn’t afraid to experiment with new ideas or go back to the drawing board, is collaborative, and takes initiative. The person in this role is responsible for BYP100’s internal and external communications. The Communications Manager will work collaboratively with our staff team, members and coalition partners to create visibility for our issues and our organization, develop proactive strategies to build narrative power for Black people, and represent BYP100 in movement-related spaces.
BYP100’s national office is located in Chicago, and applicants are welcome to work remotely. If hired, individuals not living within the Chicago metropolitan area will be required to travel to and from the national and chapter offices as needed.
This position would begin in January 2018.
Reports to: National Co-Director
Supervises: Digital Strategist
Salary range begins at $51,000 and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute BYP100’s organization-wide communications strategy, which includes support of staff, chapters/members, board, and partner-led communications, using traditional media, social media, and other creative ways to advance BYP100’s mission, programs and campaigns.
- Develop messaging and talking points for our issue campaigns.
- Develop relationships with journalists, reporters, editors and producers, and maintain up-to-date press lists.
- Collaborate with Digital Strategist and Development Manager to develop print and electronic communications, including annual report, social media, managing the organization’s website update & content development, press releases, presentations, videos and other marketing collateral.
- Create, edit, and publish the monthly BYP100 national newsletter.
- Draft and copyedit press materials, including press releases, messaging documents, op-eds, articles, letters to the editor and other communications materials.
- Develop ideas, pitch newsworthy stories to journalists and respond to media requests.
- Collaborate with national staff, Digital Strategist, leaders and members to execute rapid response communications strategies responsive to urgent conditions.
- Train other staff and members to be effective media spokespeople.
- Work with Digital Strategist to build out online presence and strategy that is compliments our on the ground work and strategy.
- Utilize metrics to assess and adjust communications strategy.
- Ensure members and staff are kept informed by communicating through and managing our intranet.
Skills & Qualifications
The ideal BYP100 Communications Manager will have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Candidate should be able to convey concepts in simple and persuasive language, and write sharp, memorable copy under deadline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with people.
- Creative juices to help build public awareness of BYP100’s story.
- Energy and excitement to work with a growing organization led by young Black people.
- Strong background in racial, LGBTQ, gender justice and social change issues.
- Mission-driven focus approach and commitment to Black liberation.
- Media relations experience with proven results and experience working with reporters.
- Experience developing and editing high-quality written materials, including: press releases, talking points, statements, op-eds etc.
- High-level of comfort with digital technology, e.g. Google Docs, Microsoft Excel, Skype, and basic data management.
- Demonstrated experience in digital communications and use of social networking tools – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. – to promote campaigns and initiatives.
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
BYP100 pays up to $400 towards health premium, 100% of dental, short-term disability, life insurance, and offers a progressive vacation/paid time off plan (25+ days off per year).
Level of Language Proficiency
Ideal candidate will be highly proficient in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit their resume, a short email (no more than 300 words) telling us why we should hire you for this position, two writing samples, and names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "BYP100 Communications Manager" in the subject line. The position will be filled as soon as we find the ideal candidate.
BYP100 is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage women, femme, LGBTQ and non-college degree holders to apply. BYP100 prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.